Replacing a lost iPhone with a used

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tripp320, Mar 4, 2009.

1. tripp320 macrumors newbie

So I lost my iPhone this weekend, but have a friend who has an old 1st gen which is what mine was, and I was wondering if I'd be able to restore that one and then just put it on my plan in place of where my other phone was. It sounds like this might be too easy and I feel like I'll probably run into something. Sorry if I should have put this in the question forums, I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the help.

2. rhs7787 macrumors member

Yes that will work. Same thing happened to me. I have had it stolen twice now and I used the first gen for a while until I decided to get one FINAL 3g lol. I'm not sure if you can change it on your own. I believe you can just going through the steps on itunes. The only thing is it switches the data plan to $20/month and includes 200 texts and takes off any discount.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

He's right. I just went through this last night.

I thought I was going to have to call AT&T and have them switch my plan back to the $20 but it did it automatically when activating through iTunes.

4. tripp320 thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably a dumb follow up, but I should probably cancel my other phone before adding this one correct? I have waited on canceling just because I was hoping I would find it, but it doesn't look so hot. Thanks.

5. specify macrumors regular

Just put it in the first gen phone and make the data plan changes, you won't have to cancel anything.

6. tripp320 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I went ahead and restored my new phone to the last back up of my other, but once it was finished it said it still had no service and I didn't have any options to activate or anything. Not sure what I need to do.

-Edit-

Just figured it out and I just had to go get a new sim card from AT&T. WOOOO so glad to have an iPhone again ha.