Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
I am wanting to replace our family laptop which we use to drive the 27in thunderbolt display.

We are not power users so we are open to purchasing a macbook air. My biggest concern is storage. We utilize 420gb of storage on our current macbook pro and we backup to an external 500gb hard drive.

The only computer I don't want is a 13in macbook air. So I would want an 11in macbook air or a 15in macbook pro. I am guessing I will get about $700 to $800 when I sell my current computer.

Thanks in advance.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
A 750gb or 1tb SSD retrofitted into your 2011 17 inch would cost a fraction of buying a retina 15 and will outperform any of the dual core CPU Mac notebooks available today including every Air. Only the quad core cpu 15 inch retinas are appreciably faster. I know cos I've compared newer models I've worked on with my own late 2011 17"/16gb/1tb SSD:cool:

SSD's wear out faster when over 75% full hence why I don't recommend getting a 500gb model - and the drive is easily resalable as its a stock 2.5 inch drive and will fit in any notebook never mind just a Macintosh. Samsung 840 Evo drives I use by default for the larger capacities and they work great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.