iPad Replacing an existing iPad: [How] did you backup?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by D.T., Oct 29, 2012.

?

Replacing an iPad? How did you backup?

1. iCloud

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. iTunes

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Both iCloud and iTunes

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. No backup, just going to reinstall from scratch!

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. D.T., Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2012

D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Just curious what existing owners did for a backup. Figured I'd toss it up as a poll ...

[MOD NOTE]
    Question slightly altered at the request of the OP

2. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

iTunes and not because I am "scared" but because I need more than 5gb to back it up...

3. djmodifyd macrumors regular

I use iTunes because it is faster and easier for me. With iCloud you don't get synced pictures or movies or ringtones so you are plugging in to iTunes anyway. I restore from backup from iTunes, one stop and way faster because you arnt downloading everything from the cloud

4. DoctorYuyi macrumors member

iTunes

Your poll sounds very passive aggressive.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

iTunes. An iCloud restore take HOURS for me....

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

iCloud

Apple, not only extended Mobile Me service, but gave us extra iCloud storage at no extra charge. Yeah, like Mobile Me, this deal won't last forever but I'll take advantage of this opportunity while it lasts.

So, I back my iPad 2 up to iCloud and will restore it on my brand new iPad Mini this Friday.

----------

Oh, didn't realize that an iCloud restore took so long. Will go back and change my vote ;)

7. D.T. thread starter macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, I was just having a little fun, but that's a great point. I'd actually add that if I can edit[?]

Wasn't aware of that, this is the kind of good info I hope would get posted :)

8. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

iCloud and iTunes, can't be too careful! Yep! :)

9. vince. macrumors newbie

iCloud + iTunes for me...

iCloud is very, very convenient. But I definitely also backup through iTunes (and subsequently Time Machine) since you can't be too sure.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost the backup, but if I lost it in iCloud, I would kick myself for not taking the 2 steps of plugging in my iPad and clicking "Back Up" - seriously....

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Both, then erase all content and settings, and knock on my buddy next door to hand over my 3 on Friday when I get my new 4. Then I'll have to help him set it up, it's his first iPad.

11. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Starting from scratch. I'll be upgrading from an original iPad that hasn't been restored in over 2 years, so I don't want to carry over any unnecessary junk.

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I backup all of my devices to iCloud in the event something happens to them and I need to restore a backup. As for new devices, I always set up as new.

13. jojoba, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

jojoba macrumors 68000

This. And like others said, it's faster. When I upgraded from 2 to 3 gen, I was stuck in the shop for ages because the 3gen had problems installing the cloud back up and they couldn't figure out why. Plug it into my air/ iTunes and the thing was up and running pretty fast.

14. doboy macrumors 68000

iTunes. I ain't re-downloading 340 apps again including GB sized games. :eek:

15. D.T. thread starter macrumors 603

D.T.

Thanks for the input folks! I was curious, and also thought it would be educational for people who have never migrated between devices!

I had a mod update the poll options to a slightly more conventional list :D

I'm backing up my 3rd gen this morning ... to iTunes ... in preparation to ship to Amazon (for trade) and my replacement 4th gen (that may or may not be here on Friday, depending on logistics + mega-storm!)