Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgb87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
I have been using my 12.9 iPad pro since 2020 for the following
  • General Browsing (perfectly fine for this. I enjoy being able to take the tablet off the keyboard and using portrait orientation to read)
  • Microsoft Dynamics 365 (the tablet app isn't very intuitive. I can use the website thru Safari but without a proper mouse, tables and links don't behave like I would expect)
  • Light Excel (gets the job done but without the mouse it still doesn't feel natural)
  • Reading text books and magazines (uneatable experience; however a smaller and lighter iPad might feel better)
  • Grading papers (the Apple pencil makes it fun and easy)
  • Media consumption but I have been using my iPhone much more recently for this.
I am not doing all of the above all of the time. For example, I have to grade papers once a month. But every time I have to use Dynamics 365 or even Excel, I feel like throwing the iPad away! I am considering getting a Macbook Air M2 13 but I am worried I will miss the 120hz Screen. At home I have a 170hz OLED so I haven't used anything with less than 120hz since my iPhone 12 mini. Has anyone switched and not missed the screen?

I also don't know how the text book reading experience will be on a Laptop vs a tablet.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Specific use cases will determine what works or doesn’t for each of us. I have the M2 MBA 13 and love it but I use my iPad Pro far more often. I often consider whether the MBA would suffice but for me what I do is just more convenient and natural feeling on the ipad. I don’t use the apps you mention so my experience will be different than yours. But when I use my MBA for the same purpose I use my ipad I almost always think “man this is easier on an ipad”. Plus I have the WiFi + cellular ipad so I am always connected. I do go back and forth frequently as to whether I’d replace the ipad if needed or just stay with the MBA. Right now the ipad wins out.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
You'll have to try a 60Hz screen yourself. Some people don't mind 60Hz, others don't even notice the difference, and then there are those that will never go below 120Hz again as it gives them eye cancer.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, and given the choice between an iPad and a real computer for anything other than consuming and browsing I'd always choose the computer as it offers the better experience for doing anything even slightly serious. Of course that's just my prefernece for my way of working and YMMV. I need access to the filesystem and terminal, proper window management, unrestricted multitasking and peripheral support. There's a reason many people complain about iPads being limited by their system software.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Having used both screens, honestly the difference is noticeable. However, it doesn't really bother me that much. Being able to notice it isn't really a huge deal for me, I've used 60hz screens most of my life so I don't really have a problem with it now.

Personally, I'd take a look at them in person. That's really the only thing that will be able to help you see how it affects your eyes.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
The trade in values for the iPad are so poor, I'd be tempted to keep it and buy the Mac separately and then you have the best of both worlds.

On the screen comment - for my old eyes I think you only noticed the difference on the smaller screens so the laptop to iPad should be hard to tell in my experience.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
i personally use 120-165hz across all my devices as well, my m2 air being the exception and honestly it doesnt bother me. The way they optimized the screen and the os, 60hz honestly feels pretty smooth still on my air. And i definitely am one that notices the difference of my high refresh screens, windows at 60hz definitely doesnt feel as smooth as macos does thats for sure

Reactions: tgb87

tgb87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
You know you can use a mouse with the iPad right?
Of course! But iPadOS treats mouse/trackpad input like touch input. Have you tried using Meta's business Suite on Ipad Safari? I was just using it and it's a horrible experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.