Replacing an older MacBookPro - worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikey.f, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mikey.f macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have an older MBP - over a year old, one of the early series. It ran out of warranty and since I had some problems with it earlier, I am scared it could get messed up again and I would have to pay big money to get it fixed...
    (MBP 15.4", 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD)

I am thinking of getting one of the new MBPs with the LED-backlit screens, bigger hdd, RAM, better processor, graphics and whatnot, and selling my current one on my college to someone who might like it.

Since everyone is telling me something else, I wanted to ask this community - do you think it's a worthy upgrade? I use the notebook all the time as my primary workstation - at home, at school, at work - for graphic design, so I need a really good performance for all my Creative Suites and whatnot.

Thanks for any advice, tips or warnings.

Mike

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

wait till this one breaks? Thats what I'd do. I have the same modelish probably (just went out of warranty too) and its got a few problems, but what doesn't?

also: If it cost you 2000 to get a new one now, you spent 2000.
    If it doesn't break, your current one gave you a good value.
    If you come up with the choice of new or repair in the future, you can decide which ever has the better value.

3. mikey.f thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but selling a broken computer for a good price would be impossible, right?

On MacMall they sell new ones for 1844 after the rebate (and you don't have to pay tax), plus they have a no-payments-for-six-months option...

4. Jayrod macrumors regular

I think it really all comes down to what your cash flow is like. If it's not going to phase you to maybe sell your current MBP for $1500 or whatever, then shell out 700 bucks of your own money to get a new MBP, by all means, go for it. If you don't really feel like spending that money right now, why not just keep using your current MBP since it seems to be doing the job ok for you. If it were me, I would probably get the new one - but that's just because I always like to have the latest and greatest of all things Apple!

5. mikey.f thread starter macrumors regular

Jayrod, I think I am a lot like you - I need to have the newest one :). The cashflow isn't the biggest problem for me, fortunately.

Thanks for your tip

6. K-Funk macrumors member

OK, so the only reason you want to sell now is because it might break -- in which case whoever you're selling it to is getting screwed.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

The OP simply stated that he had problems with his MBP earlier and is afraid new problems or the old ones may arise while no longer under AppleCare. Who knows, the MBP could be in perfect working condition and would make a suitable computer for whomever would purchase it. To the OP: If your uses have outgrown your current MBP, a jump to the current MBP will provide a noticeable difference and if you have the money to do so, then by all means.

8. mikey.f thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand... I would say it is one of the risks of buying used stuff, right? And, I didn't make the notebook so I can't say if it will or will not break. Seems like many bugs I got rid of during my warranty, but who knows... :confused:

9. mikey.f thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. Can I just ask an off-topic question, what does "OP" mean? I am a forum-newbie ;)

10. macjay macrumors 6502

OP = original poster