Replacing back cover or phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelgettys, Apr 17, 2010.

1. michaelgettys macrumors member

Has anyone replaced the back cover of your 3gs? I just want something new that most people dont have. I hate using cases b/c it makes the phone bigger. I have seen these in person and I found them on ebay. Just want to know if anyone has had experience trying to do this. Looked on youtube and really didnt find anything. I want the red one btw

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPhone-3G-3GS-R...Accessories?hash=item3a59dd879b#ht_2218wt_941

2. Arushan macrumors member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKjCi35GGk

but if i were you, i wouldnt buy it off of ebay. It might look good in the picture but once you get it you'll have problems with the cover

the fake cover wont be as same as the real cover, so some screws might not fit in.

I've had first hand experience with this but not with an iphone with a psp. Its such a pain to replace housing. And to replace the back you have to take out everything and put it into a new one. Just either stick with your case or find one in your city or buy that cover and get a professional to do it and watch him do it so he doesnt mess it up

3. michaelgettys thread starter macrumors member

4. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

I replaced my 17 month old 3G back cover (and battery while I was there) earlier in the week. I bought the back cover from eBay - knowing full well it was a copy as opposed to an original Apple part. My housing had cracks near the charging port and the battery health was shot.

It was a nightmare. Took me 7 hours to do and everything that could go wrong DID go wrong. I used a YouTube video to help disassemble the iPhone which helped, BUT getting the chrome bezel off (which is glued on as well) took me over an hour.

Getting some of the tiny screws and connectors back on is a pain. My screen didn't come back on either and it took me two hours to fix this by restoring my iphone. Weirdly it was a software issue - not hardware.

The back housing I bought didnt have a proper thread for the sim eject mechanism so my sim card is now permanently in my iPhone. When I give it to my other half I will need to take it to pieces again to put her sim in. I think I might try glueing the fulcrum screw back in next time I open it up. Wi-fi was tempremental for a few days with a really shortened range (like 3 metres) but it seems to be OK again now.

A good tip I found to remove the glass is to use a suction cup and also if you have to remove the mic and speaker grill to put them back into the new housing (it didnt come with these) DO NOT glue them in place! I had to make a pin prick in the mic grill so that people could hear me on a phone call because it had flooded with super glue. Also, do glue the chrome bezel back on - I only did the corners and when I put it back there was an uneven gap between the bezel and the housing. While the bezel was off I gave it a brushed finish with a brillo pad which was dead easy to do.

Also, the home button stopped working and I had to re-open it and put some paper in there to make sure the connectors were well and truly touching.

If I had to do it all again, I'd probably be quite quick at it because I messed up so badly in the first run. However, I wouldn't try it again on a new iPhone - I'd send it back to Apple.

5. anthdci macrumors 6502

dont bother, as said in the previous post its a nightmare. I also thought it wouldnt be that bad a job, instead it took me hours. In the end when i finally got it back together the speaker didnt work, the wifi and the gps didnt work. In the end i took it to a professional who did it for me for about 60quid.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

^ what they all said. And to boot I saw someone with a custom blue cover in a restaurant last night and it looked boggin'.

Have you thought about a gelaskin? (gelaskins.com) They're tougher than you expect and'll make your iPhone look a little different without heavy surgery.