replacing back of iphone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CaucasionInvasn, Jul 7, 2010.

1. CaucasionInvasn macrumors member

hi, im against using screen protectors and what not, dont like the feel, look, etc.

I would like to go completely naked with my iphone, but i know it will get scratched up. I have heard that taking off the two bottom screws is an easy way to just replace the glass? im guessing when i go to sell this phone next year it will have scratches on it if i go naked. will i be able to just replace the glass then? and be scratch free? thanks :)

2. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

Yes, a small phillips screwdriver is used to take the two screws out of the bottom, you then push the back panel up 2mm and it pulls away. There is nothing connecting it (wires, sensors, etc) to anything else in the body. It is as simple as it gets. Just be sure not to damage the front, as it requires a complete tear down, to access the 8 or so screws that hold the front panel to the inside sides of the chassis.

3. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

So let's say I replace the back of my iPhone 4 with an official apple part, but not replaced by apple itself.

Does this void my warranty/would apple find out? Or no.

4. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

Unless you get a very obvious knock off part, I don't think Apple could tell... Well, maybe they could (I think theres a harmonized barcode printed on the inside of the OEM panel) but I doubt they would check. There are a couple steps in the disassembly that act as indicators of unauthorized access to the units internals.

You could always hold onto the original, and put it back on when going in for service. They can't tell you changed it out.

5. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

You CAN NOT ONLY replace the glass panel of the rear panel. YOU WILL have to replace the entire back panel which currently cost $150 dollars.

So the answer is NO, it will not be as simple to replace the glass panel only.

2 screws only releases the back frame panel... NOT the glass.
    Getting the glass out is a whole 'nother ballgame that I doubt you want to tackle.

Hope this helps.