replacing battery: buy from Apple online or in-store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waiting, Jun 22, 2011.

1. waiting macrumors member

Not sure if this matters, but I thought I would ask:

If buying a replacement battery for my Fall 2007 MBP, are there any (dis-)advantages to buying one from a brick-and-mortar Apple store versus the online store?

I ask because some caution about buying older (but still unused) batteries, but I don't know which is likely to carry newer inventory.

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple, but it makes no difference if you buy from an Apple store or Apple's website.

4. intwo macrumors newbie

Last year I went to the Apple Store to replace the battery on my 2006 MacBook Pro. They were sold out of the battery, so they gave me a free one from the Genius Bar. If there is an Apple Store nearby, it's worth a try. =]

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

If you're in a hurry: Apple Store
    If not, or one is too far away (like me, 90 minutes): Online

6. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Genius Bar

Genius Bar, they may be able to give you a "service part" battery for a cheaper price.

7. waiting thread starter macrumors member

just bought in-person

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

Since people here agree that there is no disadvantage to buying in-person from an Apple store (if one is nearby), I chose that option and have a new battery as of this writing. Thank you all for your help.

Just FYI, since some readers want to know about Apple store experiences:
    The sales associate offered me no discount of any kind, but I did mention the student price (for which I am eligible) listed in the online store. He verified the price, asked to see my student ID, took down my ID number, and then gave me the discount.