Replacing Battery for MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by csucollegian, Jan 4, 2010.

1. csucollegian macrumors newbie

Hey all!

I have a 1.5 year old MBP (silver keyboard) that needs battery replacement and I'm not sure whether the "device name" of my current battery (ASMB012) should match the device name of the new replacement (MA348LL/A) or does it even matter?? Also, I'm confused as to why it is manufactured by Sony when my laptop is clearly Apple. How do you find out if your Mac is genuine?

Below is more information on my battery. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Model Information:
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0001
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0110
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 1206
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 1258
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 427
    Condition: Replace Now
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12341

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

This will work:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/BAP15MBP58RS/

Sony makes the optical drive in your MBP too.

Strange that your battery is dead? Have you tried an SMC reset? Or anything else?

Battery on my wifes Macbook is 44 months old and still works perfectly -- 3+ hours on a charge...

3. csucollegian thread starter macrumors newbie

My battery dies after 15 minutes without the magsafe plugged in. I've been noticing the battery doesn't last as long as it used to about 6 months ago. This is basically my main computer that I use alot and leave on for about a week (about 5-6 days at most). I recalibrate every once a month but didn't know about the SMC reset... would SMC resetting once in awhile make the battery last a little longer?

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

No idea if it would make it last longer. There are also some battery firmware updates (1.4?) that you could try as well.

Not sure why some peoples batteries crap out so soon.

We have never done anything special to our MB, it stays on and plugged in probably 23 hours a day, everyday. I dont think its been shutdown or restarted in months. My wife uses it in bed almost every night for an hour or so, but then places it back on her desk and plugs it in. We dont drain it, we dont "recalibrate" it, nothing. Just use it.

Wish everyones battery was worked like ours...

5. csucollegian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I assume you purchase some of your hardware/batteries from the link you posted above. I hope the new battery will last longer. I will give it a try...

6. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

I have the same problem. My battery died in 1 year 1 month. The battery would show up in the menu bar saying it needs servicing. First time I brought it in Apple said nothing seems to be wrong. But my mAh was changing constantly and drastically. Second time in... it fail their battery check test... I was forced to buy a new battery. Problem was they were sold out at every Apple store in my area. I went to a third party store and found a Genuine battery there. Bought it for $87. Weird is that it said the battery was new but just had scratches and was said to have less than 8 cycles on it. Got it... and yes there were scratches on it but on the part facing inside so the MBP still looks flawless on the outside :). It had 5 cycles on it... assuming it was from factory testing? But so far so good. I just asked for a battery for my 15in. MBP silver keys and they directed me to it and it works great so far.

-Tony

7. csucollegian thread starter macrumors newbie

What store did you get it from? Did you get it online? That sounds like a good deal for $87. But then again, how do you find out if a battery is genuine without buying it and looking it up on "system profiler"?

8. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

I bought it here in San Jose, CA at a store called MAC PRO. Located on Stevens Creek Blvd. It was genuine because the apple batteries are actually branded in chrome lettering. It said Apple Genuine Battery and so forth... But Sony makes the batteries for the MBP and stuff is all I recall but yea $87 saved me a lot of money. And it only has 5 cycles on it which i assume is from testing... Overall satisfied and it is lasting pretty good now :D. But the workers do tell you they have genuine batteries but just not "NEW" like the third parties.... Some have 13-20 cycles while some has more or whatnot... I just kept looking til I found one that was labeled as brand new saying <10 cycles.... and I just took a gamble at it and found it to have 5 cycles which was good enough for me... Hope this helps you. I think they have a site but I'm not sure if they have the batteries up on there too... Their site seems to sell a lot more than just Mac stuff... they sell stuff almost like a convenient store on their site lol.

-Tony

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The one in question crapped out because it has almost 500 cycles on it.