Replacing battery in 2015 rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluewooster, Nov 1, 2016.

1. bluewooster macrumors member

Like others, my 2015 rMB seemed to have a brisk decline in its maximum capacity. It dropped down to 83% within several months of purchase but has hung at that number since then. I was hoping it would drop further to hit the 80% cutoff at the one year mark to get a free replacement but it was stubborn!

I've never been impressed with the battery life in my computer but it has been worse for the past couple months. I was thinking of paying to get it replaced and had a question for those of you who have done it - does the replacement degrade at just as fast a rate as your previous one or is it more acceptable?

I had read some speculation that the cause of the battery capacity fall was due to the heat of the unit - I don't really feel like spending money on a replacement if it's just going to do the same thing.

(In fairness, I've owned this model since the day it was available in stores and I've gotten a LOT of use out of it)

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

you're really answering your own question... you can option-click on 'about this mac', look at system information, see what your battery use/amperage is.

or call apple, have them replace it (and ask them your questions)...

3. gooser macrumors 6502a

i really don't see where this answers his question at all.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

"(In fairness, I've owned this model since the day it was available in stores and I've gotten a LOT of use out of it)"

5. gooser macrumors 6502a

maybe so then.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    but i really thought that the question was does a replacement battery last any longer than an original?

6. bluewooster thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying fisherking but I wasn't really asking how to check battery usage/health.

The 2015 rMB has a battery that many earlier users (see this forum) noted a surprisingly quick drop in its maximum capacity. I'm asking those users who had their battery replaced whether they experienced a similar drop in the replacement or not.

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

sure thing, but facts help; knowing the battery's condition, the cycle count, is at least useful information. anyway, good luck with this...

8. cdf macrumors member

The battery in my 2015 rMB has also hovered at the 83% mark for several months. Just recently, it dropped to 78% and has remained there for a while. It has a mere 190 cycles. I plan on getting it replaced soon; however, I am apprehensive about the whole bottom case getting replaced (see http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-2015-battery-replacement.2010147). I would also be interested in knowing how the replacement battery behaves.

On a side note, the 2016 rMB battery is apparently compatible with the 2015 rMB (see https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Retina+MacBook+2016+Teardown/62149). Perhaps Apple replaces 2015 batteries with 2016 ones...

9. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Mine is from 2015 as well, but I bought it in June as open-box ex-demo from an APR. It has 90% battery capacity with some 150 cycles. Not quite that 80% but I found it weird anyway. Not what I'm used to from previous MacBook Pros.

My advice would be to first try to get service from Apple and otherwise invest in a genuine Apple replacement battery. With some luck you get your money back when they announce a recall...

10. bluewooster thread starter macrumors member

That is essentially the status of my battery - 82% capacity after 157 cycles. I'm currently debating paying to get a replacement battery or simply buying the new RMB (non touch bar) model - I'm very tempted! But I do love the rMB....

If I do get a replacement battery, I'll report back in a few months on whether it declined as quickly!