Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B747Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Hello, so I have a Mid-2014 MacBook Pro which is in need of a new battery, as it says service recommended when I click on the battery icon. I know it's old at this point, but considering the amount of money I paid for it, I would prefer not to have to buy a new laptop unless I can find something in the same price range as it would cost to have the battery replaced, and I mainly just use it for watching videos and surfing the internet in bed. I am also on a limited budget, so I can't spend too much money. I guess my first question would be is it still possible to get a new battery for this laptop if I were to take it somewhere?

Also, I think I read online that it's possible to use some MacBook's without a battery as long as it is plugged in. Would I be able to do that with this model? I opened the laptop and had a look at the battery, and it may be ever so slightly puffy, but it's hard to tell, and it's certainly not enough to push on the case or anything like that. Also coconut battery shows the health as being 77% if that means anything.

Thanks

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I have a Mid-2014 MacBook Pro which is in need of a new battery, as it says service recommended when I click on the battery icon.
If you use your MBP plugged into the adapter the majority of the time, then you probably don't need to worry about battery health or replacing the battery for a while longer. Alternatively, if you prefer to use MBP on battery power, you can replace the battery yourself and save some money. Just buy a battery from a reputable store.

Or take it to an authorized Apple repair facility and have them replace the battery. Might cost you an extra $100 on top of the battery cost for them to perform the labor. Just inquire from them where they plan to source the battery from.

Oh, and battery swelling is a potential fire hazard. If you have concerns, definitely take the MBP to a shop for assessment.

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
I bought a battery from eBay and replaced it for my old 2015 13' MBP. there are many videos on YouTube showing how to do that. follow the process and you can do it by yourself.

Reactions: avheatherim

B747Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
If you use your MBP plugged into the adapter the majority of the time, then you probably don't need to worry about battery health or replacing the battery for a while longer. Alternatively, if you prefer to use MBP on battery power, you can replace the battery yourself and save some money. Just buy a battery from a reputable store.

Or take it to an authorized Apple repair facility and have them replace the battery. Might cost you an extra $100 on top of the battery cost for them to perform the labor. Just inquire from them where they plan to source the battery from.

Oh, and battery swelling is a potential fire hazard. If you have concerns, definitely take the MBP to a shop for assessment.
Thank you for the help, however I am confused by what you said. In the first part of your post, you do not seem that concerned with the battery, however you also mention that the battery swelling can be a potential fire hazard, which is why I suggested the idea of being able to use the laptop without the battery. You say if I have concerns I should take it in, but I'm not sure how concerned I should be, especially if the swelling is very minimal. I do plan to have it replaced soon anyway, but do you think I should be that worried if I continue to use it? The thing is I only have it plugged in when I'm using it as I think the battery doesn't display the correct percentage but I leave it unplugged when not in use and usually just close the screen but don't turn it off. This means when I do plug it in, it usually charges a little bit.

Also in the link you posted for battery kits I see 2013 models and 2015 models but nothing for 2014 models. I would assume if they still have batteries for 2013 and earlier then they should for 2014.

Thanks

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Thank you for the help, however I am confused by what you said. In the first part of your post, you do not seem that concerned with the battery, however you also mention that the battery swelling can be a potential fire hazard, which is why I suggested the idea of being able to use the laptop without the battery. You say if I have concerns I should take it in, but I'm not sure how concerned I should be, especially if the swelling is very minimal.
Is it swelling? If you can't tell or are unsure, take it in for inspection.
Also in the link you posted for battery kits I see 2013 models and 2015 models but nothing for 2014 models.
It is 2013 - 2015 models inclusive. Use the Model Id of your MBP. If you don't know how to find the Model Identifier, use the link on the page to learn how.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

B747Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Is it swelling? If you can't tell or are unsure, take it in for inspection.
It's hard for me to tell, but maybe just a little, and I do plan to take it in as soon as I can. I just want to know if I should be that concerned with using it until I can take it in.

Thanks

Last edited:

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
It's hard for me to tell, but maybe just a little, and I do plan to take it in as soon as I can. I just want to know if I should be that concerned with using it until I can take it in.

Thanks
if just a little, it's normally ok to continue using as long as the battery is not punctured.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I will say I changed the battery in my Mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro and it was relatively simple, just the adhesive took awhile. I bought a $50 kit on Amazon (just search your Axxxx model # plus battery replacement). If it is this old, just either change it yourself or remove the old one and leave it batteryless.

B747Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
if just a little, it's normally ok to continue using as long as the battery is not punctured.
Good to know, thanks. I don't think it would be punctured, considering that I am careful when handling it and I haven't touched the battery. Also, out of curiosity, do you think replacing the battery would help with the temps when watching YT even if I have the laptop plugged in when using it? Whenever watch a video on YT, the computer heats up to around 180-200F and the fans spin up to full blast, but I am not sure if this is normal. I have tried several different internet browsers and opened up the laptop to blow the dust out, but I still have this problem.

B747Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
I will say I changed the battery in my Mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro and it was relatively simple, just the adhesive took awhile. I bought a $50 kit on Amazon (just search your Axxxx model # plus battery replacement). If it is this old, just either change it yourself or remove the old one and leave it batteryless.
Is there specific store on Amazon you would recommend buying from? I always read there are lots of fake stuff sold on there with fake reviews, so if i'm going to buy a battery I want to make sure it from a reputable brand Also, are you saying it is possible to use the laptop without the battery as long as it plugged in?

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Is there specific store on Amazon you would recommend buying from? I always read there are lots of fake stuff sold on there with fake reviews, so if i'm going to buy a battery I want to make sure it from a reputable brand Also, are you saying it is possible to use the laptop without the battery as long as it plugged in?
Yes, the laptop should function if the battery was removed. Also, if you are having those high temps you describe in the other reply, you might want to open the laptop anyway and clean out all the built up dust in there that might be affecting cooling performance. As for which battery, I trust the ones that have a lot of positive reviews and that it’s shipped and sold from Amazon.

Reactions: Miles Fu

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
Yes, the laptop should function if the battery was removed. Also, if you are having those high temps you describe in the other reply, you might want to open the laptop anyway and clean out all the built up dust in there that might be affecting cooling performance. As for which battery, I trust the ones that have a lot of positive reviews and that it’s shipped and sold from Amazon.

Agreed, cleaning the fans will help

dacama

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2018
I've bought a battery from iFixit and replaced a dozen or more batteries on those Intel era Macs.

Yes, the hardest part is getting the battery out. A combination of the adhesive remover, fishing line and light pressure has always resulted in the battery coming out without damaging anything.

Anything before 2016 is easier to deal with. Anything 2016 and greater I typically will take extra steps to remove trackpad and such.

Good luck! Plenty of videos online.

Reactions: avheatherim

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Macs will run very poorly without any battery installed, they'll run, but the performance will be hugely limited. This is by design, the power delivery system expects to always be able to tap into battery for peak power usage if necessary as this can exceed mains adapter.

Reactions: Macdctr and B747Man

B747Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Thanks, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I already tried opening the laptop and spraying with compressed air to get all the dust out, which unfortunately didn't help.

B747Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Macs will run very poorly without any battery installed, they'll run, but the performance will be hugely limited. This is by design, the power delivery system expects to always be able to tap into battery for peak power usage if necessary as this can exceed mains adapter.
Good to know thanks.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Keep an eye on the battery and don't charge it all the way to 100% (download AlDente if you don't already have it, it lets you set the charge limit to 70-80%). This will help reduce the swelling until you can replace the battery, and will also help keep the health from degrading as quickly. My 2016 MBP had a swollen battery and I had to replace it eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.