Replacing battery on the 3GS... Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iansilv, Jan 29, 2011.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

My battery on my 3GS is dwindling to the Point that is does not hold a charge very well. I was thinking about ordering a new one to replace it. While looking at the instructions on ifixit.com, I figured I might as well replace the back cover and maybe the home button while I am at it...

For anyone who has replaced their 3 gs battery, or a 3G battery, can you tell me- after reassembling the phone, is it "like new" or is it wonky where there are gaps in the outside shell, or is it impossible to fit together the way it came from the factory, etc.?

If reassembling the thing is going to make it permanently puffy or not fit together right, I wont bother.

Thank you for any thoughts or opinions.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yep. It worths it. I have replaced many back housing on the 3G. I am ordering a back housing for my 3GS and should be here next week. it takes me around 1 hour and 15 minutes to replace it. The tricky part is the vibrate button.

3. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

So after you reassemble the phone it looks like new? Everything fits together well?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, everything fit together. However, make sure you get the back housing with the pre-drill sim card ejector hole. If not, you can't put this sim card ejector in and it is problem to get the sim out.

5. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. mattrox.32 macrumors newbie

I totally stripped out my 3gs and re-built it again. It looks brand new. Why replace the home button? Is it loose?

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I did not order it from Ifixit. I ordered if off Ebay. make sure you read the description careful. There is Ebay sellers list the back housing on Ebay showing the inside only. Once it arrives, the back did not have Apple logo or any printing. Amazon is another place that you can order, but it much higher price because they ask for shipping charge which is around $5.00.

8. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's kind of loose and seems to click on the side. I guess it's fine... but if it is cheap and easy to do while the phone is disassembled, I might just do it.

9. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK thank you for the info. I think I will just order off of ifixit.

10. Amylittlehands macrumors newbie

My dad will be replacing mine (again, many problems occured haha) what should he take into consideration about the vibration button?

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Use either glue or somekind of sticky stuff (I use caulking) to hold the vibrator button to the part and put it in. It is hard to put the vibrate button in first and try to fit the switch through the little hold on the button.