Replacing bezel on 15" macbook pro (bought 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sweethoney1586, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sweethoney1586 macrumors newbie

I have cracks on both sides of the bezel that are separated all the way through. I have the older macbook pro, which I purchased Jan 2008 before the newer pros came out. Applecare wont cover replacing the part. Nothing else seems wrong except the cracks on the bezel. I tried to go to an authorized dealer, but they are telling me I need to replace the entire LCD screen when there isn't anything wrong to begin with and want to charge me approximately $500. They are saying that with my particular model, I can't just replace the bezel around the screen. I want a second opinion especially since there are the same bezel parts that are being sold through companies for $99-$130 individually. If there is a way to just replace the part, how difficult is it to do?

2. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

i had this problem with my mb and i complained to the supervisor about how a computer for that much money would be made so horribly to make it crack like that and yada yada yada so he fixed it for me for free. the mbp might be a different situation tho.

3. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about the plastic part of the bezel or the metal part? Because if it is the plastic part, I am after a similar answer. For some reason, I wish I knew how it happened, the corner of my bezel chipped off, and it is really a bother. One would think you could just replace the plastic piece huh?

Let me know what you end up finding out, I would be interested.

[​IMG]

4. pateshu macrumors newbie

Help

Are there any tutorials out there for this? I ordered a bezel yesterday and my Apple dealer tech said he wouldn't touch it because the screen would crack.

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't sell the bezel anymore, but they used to. So they are correct in saying the entire display assembly needs to be replaced. Also, it's a giant pain in the ass because you need to disassemble the entire display assembly and there is a fair amount of cabling. Also, the LCD is actually glued to the bezel and you need a heatgun to remove it. If you are not careful you will crack the LCD.

Really, unless it interferes with operation of the machine I'd just get over it.