Replacing Bose Companion 3 with Logitech Z-5500?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaquib, Jan 24, 2009.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'm looking to sell my Bose Companion 3 set and get a the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speaker set. What do you think? Will I notice a difference in sound quality? I'm more focused on the actual sound quality of the speakers as apposed to how loud they go or how much bass they have.

Also, the Z-5500's have a digital optical out port. How would I connect this to my MacBook?

2. Nukey macrumors member

I haven't used the Bose speakers, so I don't know how they compare, but you'd use the mini-jack cable to connect to your Macbook, not an optical cable. You can use the optical port for things like a dvd player or an xbox.

Cheers!

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Optical OUT or optical IN?

If it is IN, then you can connect that to your MacBook, the MacBook has always had an optical out. You have to have this little adaptor thing, which most cables come with that you put on the end of the cable so it will fit in the analog hole, but once you put it in there the optical out will be enabled on the MacBook.

as for the sound, I have no complaints at all about the Companion 3, that is what I'm using now. But I haven't heard the Logitech so I couldn't say they aren't better.

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I have used both the Bose Companion 3 & the Logitech Z5500. The main difference between them is that if you love trebles, the Bose will be great for you as the Z5500 "doesn't have high enough trebles" IMO. However, the Z5500 is also a lot more powerful, especially at the Bass output.

I would advise you to check out the Z5500 at a retail store if possible before making your decision. The quality of sound from both of them will be based on your own personal preference/experience using them IMO.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The notice on the highs will not be heard as much, because of the extreme difference in bass.