Replacing Bottom Part questions. SEARCHED AND CAN NOT FIND

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bfg110, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bfg110 macrumors member

Hello,

I have a core duo 15 inch macbook pro that i have now dropped (AHHHH) for the second time. I need to replace my bottom part. I have numerous questions and would appreciate ANY advice.

1) Does anyone know the approx price of getting this taken care of in the NYC area.
    2) does anyone know any place that can do it
    3) can I do it
    4) Are all bottom parts the same or is there a difference between the mbp core 2 duo and the core duo which i have
    5) how much am i looking to spend
    6) anyone know if I get the part, I can bring it to be installed?

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

2. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I'm assuming you are talking about the bottom piece of aluminum that covers everything up, the base of your notebook. If that's the case, you can do it yourself, but it's not really cheap, it costs about 200 - 250 bucks for that bottom piece. Here is what you are looking for: http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-2-2-2-4-GHz-Core-2-Duo-Lower-Case/IF185-070
    From what I understand it is a plug and play component, take the old one off via a couple screws and put the new one on. If this isn't what you are looking for I would still check out some other stuff on the site I linked, it is a great resource.

3. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Actually, he needs this part, since the CD and C2D parts differ slightly (FW-800).

Also, replacing the bottom case requires you to remove everything, including the logic board, hard drive, Superdrive, fans, etc. Everything is screwed into the bottom case. The process isn't that bad - just make sure you keep a track of all the screws.

4. bfg110 thread starter macrumors member

thanks... is this a hard thing to do? IS there anywhere I can get instructions

5. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Here ya go. Yes, it does look daunting, and it looks even more daunting after you've gotten the top cover off. It's not *that* bad when you do it, however.

Some tips:
    - Get a Torx T6 tool and a small Phillips screwdriver
    - If you don't have long-ish fingernails, get a spudger
    - The Torx screws by the memory (underside) - do not overtighten them when assembling it back (the plate is plastic)
    - Keep track of all the screws - there's a lot!
    - Be patient, especially when removing the top lid, logic board, and moving the cables around (some of which are pretty delicate)

EDIT: Oh yeah - if you're thinking about upgrading your hard drive for any reason, now's the time to do it. :)

6. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

DAMN!

I got to page 10 (of 18) and thought, DAMN!

Looks intriguing, but not for someone that just drank a pot of coffee and needs to be somewhere in 20 minutes. Guess my fear would be one thing messing up or breaking, and there seems to be a lot that could go wrong if the instructions are not followed properly. iFixit rocks!

OP: good luck with whatever decision you go with.