Replacing broken key

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AppleGuy1980, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #1
    The S key on my MacBook Pro broke off earlier today, but the MBP is still under AppleCare. If I take it in to the Apple Store tomorrow, do you think they will replace it for me (at no charge)? If so, would they have the part right in the store or would I have to wait or come back later? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
     
  2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

    QuarterSwede

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #2
    My wife's MB had a crack on the front palm rest and I made an appointment to see a Genius about it. I took it in expecting to have them send it out but instead they looked up the AppleCare and said since they had the part (top of case and keyboard) in stock they would have it finished before 5pm that day.

    They called around 4:30 and I picked it up before my wife was even home from work. I was very happy with the service.

    Simply put, they'll replace the part that day if they don't have too many customers in front of you and/or if they have the part in stock.
     
  3. chipchen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2002
    #3
    Keyboard keys are even easier. If they can pop it right back in, they will. They generally have used keyboards where they take keys and parts off of.

    95% of keyboard key problems can be fixed in less than 5 min. The other 5% might actually require a full keyboard replacement that will take time or days away at a repair center.
     

Share This Page