replacing c2d logic board with cd logic board -- heatsink question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by trollrawks, May 13, 2008.

1. trollrawks macrumors newbie

so i've got a system with a fried c2d board. i can pick up a cd board for $150 plus shipping which is good for me. to find a comparable replacement, i'm looking at ~350 and i'm just not feelin that price as im on a budget.

i'm not concerned about the speed decrease as im just trying to get this thing rebuilt.

i understand that there are different heatsink assemblys..vertical vs horizontal. however, i do not know how to tell the difference and i am also unsure whether or not my c2d heatsink will work on this board i receive.

the logicboard possess a t7300 c2d and model # is 820-2279-a, it appears.

i cant find anything on that model, except for on ebay.

and i totally cant find the serial number on this macbook. under the battery on the tray has no serial number listed, and i've read through this documentation http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303720.

let me know if i can provide anymore information.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

iFixIt state that some logic boards won't fit older MacBooks. To check if you have an old or a 'new' MacBook, "remove the upper case and check to see if the words "Energy Star" are printed on the board in the second RAM slot." If it does, then you probably have the first of the 'new' MacBooks, and you can't use the old logic boards. I'll check with the techies at work on Saturday.

3. trollrawks thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds fair.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. per ifixit's logicboard pictures, i must have a late 06 2.0ghz logic board. i dont have an e-star sticker nor the energy star imprint on the board as they show which also (hopefully) means i can use an older 1.83ghz mobo that i'm lookin at purchasing. im pretty sure the heatsink should be the same...but still looking for confirmation. thanks.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You are not gong to get a definitive answer because Apple did change the connectors from vertical to horizontal - most of the Core 2 Duo's have horizontal and most of the Core Duo's have vertical. The vertical connectors are usually white and the horizontal's are black...

I stress the most though. Just check what connectors are on your heatsink (the photo shows the horizontal type)

The vertical type is larger and looks like a smaller version of the topcase connector which is to the right of the lower yellow circle.

The chances are you will have horizontal connections on your current heat-sink and the core duo will have vertical (sod's law). The core duo 2 heatsink is also slightly thicker (1.2mm instead of 1.00mm I think). Check with whoever you are getting the new board from whether it has vertical or horizontal and if necessary you may have to buy a new heatsink with the correct connections - you don't need a new fan since they are the same.

Hope this helps.

5. trollrawks thread starter macrumors newbie

attached are some photos. my connectors are black. horizontal?? thanks again guys.

Attached Files:

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Hi - yes, horizontal, but you only seem to have one 4 way connector - must be much later than late 2006 - there should be 2 as in the photo I posted.

Looks like you will have to get a new heatsink to match up with whatever connectors are on the new (replacement) core duo board (probably vertical). A late 2006 MacBook would have a T7200 - not a T7300. Mid-2007's have energystar boards (and T7400's for the mid-range 2.16 GHz).

The board you have is an energystar board - if you look at the pin spacings where the battery connector plugs in to the board there is a space between the 2 blocks. The earlier boards have evenly spaced pins so you will need to get a new battery connector for the core duo board because the one that is on your MacBook won't line-up with the non-energystar board.

What is wrong with your energystar board - was it water damaged ?

7. trollrawks thread starter macrumors newbie

weird that it is an energystar board and has no markings aside from the power connector. but yes, extreme liquid damage. if you look at the power connector, you will see it burnt out. i souced the unit as is for ~200 bucks as is and am hoping to be able to fix it up for under 500.

so you say ill need a new battery connector? it looks like thats the prong next to the battery. and by replacing the heatsink & battery connector i should be fine with this core duo logic board swap, correct?

thanks much logana.

[​IMG]

is that the one im looking for? its evenly spaced.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - that's the one. But I suspect you are referring to the battery terminal end of the connector - it's the other end (where it connects to the logicboard where the main differences are).

The white battery connector, on the left, is an energystar one and you should be able to see the missing pair of pins (9 pairs). The black one is the one you want and is the same as your photo (10 pairs). Apparently the pin spacing is different but have never tried to use the energystar connector or a non-energystar board.

The batteries are the same and the Core Duo board will fit into the energystar case (just the heatsink connectors that will cause a problem)

9. mrhonnesty99 macrumors newbie

not sure if you got the unit fixed or not but if it had anything from 1.83-a 2.16 before you cannot put anything more than a 2.16 energy star on that unit if it had a 2.0 santa rosa meaning the flat 4 pin connector then anything from 2.0-2.4 will fit, please note the lay out changed after late 2007 untill mid 2007 it was all the same.