Replacing CCFL with LED in MBP 17"? - Also: random flickering colors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gabedamien, Mar 12, 2008.

1. gabedamien macrumors member

gabedamien

Hello,

Despite searching I could only find one mostly-unanswered question on this point.

I had to get a new laptop Oct. 1 2007, so I picked up the SR 17" MBP 2.4GHz with glossy 1920x1200 screen. I was hoping to hold off until the 17" got an LED screen, but it wasn't possible.

Well, now that the 17" ships with an LED screen, I have to ask – is it possible to get my glossy high-res 17" screen upgraded from CCFL to LED? I have some moderate but annoying background bleed with my CCFL screen, in addition to a slightly dark narrow band right around the bottom. I would consider paying Apple or any authorized service center to do this, but please at least let me know if it's possible/feasible regardless of method.

Another issue is that with certain color areas, especially gray ones (and perhaps dithered ones, with alternating gray colors?), I get some crazy psychotropic color flickering. It's subtle (because it's on a pixel row by pixel row basis) but really seizure-inducing once I notice it; individual lines will sort of cycle very quickly between random colors close to whatever color is "supposed" to be displayed. The infuriating thing is that it's not systematically reproducible - for instance, 5 minutes ago it was extremely apparent on the dark gray background of arstechnica.com, but when I check it now, it isn't there at all.

Does anyone else ever experience this odd color flickering, or have an idea of what it might be? The way it's so subtle and unpredictable discourages me from simply dumping it at an Apple Store, unless I can put a specific testable name to the phenomenon.

Thanks in advance,
    -G

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No

3. gabedamien thread starter macrumors member

gabedamien

Thanks for the definitive reply... care to share the technical reason for that? I believe you, I'm just curious. :)

4. pento macrumors member

I believe it's possible--it's just that Apple probably won't do it for you!

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Well its just too different, the screen you have right now has an inverter and the new led doesnt. It also could be different in the motherboard (but I could be wrong). Either way, you COULD give it a try if someone on ebay is selling the exact 15" mbp led screen and you can try to replace it yourself.

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

As long as all the connectors are the same, I don't see why not. You'd have to do it yourself though as Apple won't do it for you.

7. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also the LEDs don't use inverter cards, so everything is designed differently.

9. gabedamien thread starter macrumors member

gabedamien

Dang.

Well, something to look forward to in 3.5 years (my last several computers have each lasted 4 years). :)