Replacing Display housing for Early 2008 Macbook pro. older housing ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wcngu1, Jun 1, 2008.

1. wcngu1 macrumors newbie

Hi guys! i have the newest Penryn Early 2008 Macbook pro 2.6 and have had an accident with the aluminum of the display housing. I am currently trying to find a compatible case to replace it with. I cant seem to find spare display housing that are made particularly for the new macbook pros for some reason =(

I've heard that there are different moulds of the Display housing since there are 3 different manufacturer for the LCD screen? (LG, SAMSUNG,CHIMEI)

Would the display casings of the older Intel Macbook pro work as long as I match the manufacturer? (e.g. if i have the display casing from a samsung early 2008 macbook pro, would this be compatible with the 2006 or 2007 samsung display housing?)

i have found a case for an older samsung http://www.welovemacs.com/9227221.html and chimei here
    http://www.welovemacs.com/9227351.html

Please help me out if you have any idea! thanks in advance =)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It probably would work; mind you you said 2006/2007 which would mean it's also a CCFL LCD.

3. wcngu1 thread starter macrumors newbie

there is hope!

Thanks Alpha for your reply. I"m still wondering if i should risk it and match the older models with my one. I may have to sleep on it haha

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

LED and CCFL clamshells are not interchangeable.

for one, the LVDS cable is tweaked. LED has more pins due to the incorporation of backlight power into the cable itself. CCFL panels have a separate power supply from the inverter board.

secondly, the connectors for the iSight are different.

as far as housings, the lack of an inverter board may play a role if you're just transplanting lcd panels into different housings. I shall ask my friend what he saw when he took his LED housing apart.

5. wcngu1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Professional info!

Hi e12a! thanks for the in depth answer! i was wondering if you knew a way for me to buy a compatible clamshell for my early 2008 LED macbook pro? I feel that if you dont know then noone would know :confused:

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

It would be difficult, apple as far as i know ships the LCD panel and clamshell housing as one piece since they started using LED screens. I dont know if it's possible to even obtain one without a panel in it, unless from a 3rd party.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I swapped a 17" standard resolution to a 17" high resolution today (Physical computer swap...); looks like the screen cable is exactly the same to me; sorry I don't have pictures.