Replacing dock icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macstatic, Jul 12, 2008.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2005
    My mother (a Mac newbie) is confused about the two "Address book" icons in the MacOS 10.5.4 dock (the "Applications" folder in the dock is a blue folder almost fully covered with a brown "Address book" icon), so I thought I'd replace the "Applications" folder icon with something else.

Tough luck! It turns out that this isn't as easy as doing a "Show info" for the "Applications" folder in the Finder, then pasting a new icon in its place. Nope!
    First of all, the icon doesn't show up in the dock at all (not even when I click on it in the dock, which is the case with MacOS 10.4), so I trew away (poof!) the Applications folder in the dock, then dragged the Applications folder from a Finder window (which now has a new icon on it) over to the dock.
    Bingo!!! New icon. Everything's perfect, life's good and all that I thought to myself.

I spoke too soon, because a second later the dock folder icon changes back to the original icon :eek:
    Aaaaaaargh!!!! :confused:

I would also like to change the "Documents" and "Downloads" folder icons on the dock, and like the "Applications" folder icon in the dock they can't be changed either (although I have no problem changing them in the Finder).
    Frustrating!!!!! Any solution to this?
  2. dantherevelator macrumors regular

Oct 8, 2007
    Right click on the stack. Choose Display As >> Folder.
  3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2005
    Thanks! :)
    Just another proof that there's no need to search in vein for complicated solutions when things are (often) super-simple on the Mac in comparison to another well known computer platform :p

Now, if I could only find an equally simple solution for changing the tiny icons in Finder windows' sidebars to larger ones I'd be one happy camper ;)