Replacing Dollar Bill With Dollar Coin?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by scottness, Mar 22, 2012.

1. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I like the dollar, but after living in Japan for a while, I can see where this might end up being a decent idea. Here in Japan, the smallest paper bill is ¥1000 (~$12 USD) and the largest commonly used coin is ¥500 (~$6 USD). My wallet here is a lot easier to organize, though your pocket change is worth a whole lot more.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

We are already on the $2 coin up north and talking about a $5 coin. Most of the rest of the world has moved on. Let's get rid of pennies while we're at it.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

If it's going to save money, they should just get it over with already. There's a bit of an adjustment period, but after a while, you get used to it.

I lived through the Canadian government replacing the Canadian dollar bill with a dollar coin, and then replacing the Canadian two-dollar bill with a dollar coin. At first it was cool, then it was a bit annoying, and then it didn't really matter because you got used to it.

It's bad when they accumulate and you have a heavy pile of coins instead of a bunch of bills.
    It's good when they accumulate and you have twenty bucks sitting there that you didn't realize you had.:p

I'm not much of a cash person anyway, so it wouldn't affect me much (I use my credit card for everything....and yes, I pay it off in full each month. I do it for the reward points).

All I know is that snorting coke will get around $4 more expensive. :p

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm all for it. Let's get it over with already!

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

It will not be as easy to store as dollars which could be a pain in the butt. I never have room for change and just give it to homeless people because I have no place to store it without it jiggling around which makes me mad :D

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

change sucks. it gets heavy quick and is annoying to have in pockets. I'd rather have a stack of $1 bills than a pocket full of coins.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

As long as inflation keeps up, those $1 coins will be worth as much as pennies anyway, and you can just toss them away. ;)

8. scottness thread starter macrumors 65816

scottness

In Japan, I end up using coins a whole lot more because of their value, and as a result, it doesn't accumulate. Back in the US, I never paid with coins and just took the change--and then it accumulated.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

We've had 1 and 2 dollar coins here in Australia for at least 20 years now.

At least if you have coins rather than paper, they will continue to have metallic value irrespective of what the government does inflation wise.

And yes, having a few coins in your pocket that are actually useful is handy.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm all for it, but it's never gained any traction here in the US. Some people just don't like change, I guess...

;)

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Easy, but I'll give you credit none-the-less.;)

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I was pretty happy with it. :D

13. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

I'm not too into strippers wearing helmets to protect themsleves from stray dollar coins flying at them, I like paper instead.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Coins are better and easier than bills for small denominations. Colored money is better than all the same color.

The US tried the dollar coin but it wasn't well accepted. I think they should come up with a better name for it like an eagle or something.

15. scottness thread starter macrumors 65816

scottness

Good idea. Sorry Lincoln.

16. malman89 macrumors 68000

From my time living/studying in Rome and traveling abroad in Europe, I came to realize how amazing and coveted the 1-2 EUR coins were, especially in Italy. It was easily the most desired piece of currency around. Loved using them and having them.

It was just weird to have a stack of them and be like "oh this is 20-40 EUR, which (at the time rate was like 1.4-1.45ish) is like 28-60 USD, odd". It was just different having what could be a small stack of quarters actually be a sizable sum in your pocket.

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Noooo!!

I need paper 1 dollar bills for one thing! ;)

I don't know how that would work out with coins?!?!

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

19. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I love the 1€/2€ coins compared to the dollars.

While your at it, why don't you make the different denominations different colors and sizes (like the rest of the planet.)

Also, just get a wallet with coin pouch just like everyone else.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Leather-Wallet-Bifold-Pouch/dp/B00337JXSM

The comment about 2€ coins adding up to a sizable sum is spot on. I can have 2 USD (8 quarters in my pocket) or 16€ (20USD in 8 2€ coins).

20. SlugBlanket macrumors regular

I rembered seeing this BBC News article on it a while ago. I guess the simple fact is people don't like change; no pun intended.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It would be about time but I can imagine this would be met with typical American stubbornness to change.

In the UK the smallest bank note we have is £5. At strip clubs you don't throw coins at the dancer. Another woman walks around with a large beer mug and the punters put £1 & £2 coins in it. Kind of bizarre but I think throwing coins would get you thrown out on your arse.

22. ender land macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe a coin is cheaper than a dollar bill, but if so, I'm totally supportive of this too.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The penny might be the last barrier to rampant inflation that is devaluing your hard earned money. Its harder to devalue currency when you are required to make it with metals that cost money.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Australia's smallest banknote is $5, and pennies haven't existed for awhile.
    This is the way it should be.

25. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

An individual $1 coin IS more expensive to produce than a $1 bill.

However, you forget that a coin will last many $1 bills lifetimes, so in the long run coins are cheaper.

And yes, we should ditch the penny.