Replacing Dual 2.3 GHz PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wacomme, Jun 21, 2009.

1. wacomme macrumors regular

In light of the Snow Leopard announcement, the time has come to start thinking about replacing my G5 PowerMac with an Intel-based computer. But which one?

While I do a lot of web surfing and MS Office work, I'm also a photographer who uses Aperture and Photoshop. I use 4 - 5 1TB drives (mostly storage), and tend to have several applications open at once. I'm often multitasking - a dozen tabbed websites on two web browsers (Safari and Firefox), Photoshop open, Aperture open, Word and Excel open, iTunes playing, Mail, Calendar, and 2-3 more programs also operating at the same time. I currently have one Dell 20" monitor, but plan to either get a 26-30" monitor, or use a dual monitor system in the near future. I calibrate my monitor(s). I have one, dual-bay, SATA enclosure and one single SATA external case.

As a high school teacher and photography a side business, I don't have a lot of spare cash. I'm also in college, and have access to a school district owned Dell laptop.

I presume another desktop Mac would be what I need. The iMac has a nice pricepoint, but I prefer the option of choosing my own monitor. I want the NEC 2690WUXI, but don't have the money. With Snow Leopard shipping in August, I'll likely buy a new Mac before I purchase a new monitor.

Anyway, what Mac would you suggest for me and why?

Thank you.

Michael

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Well, if the 4-5 1TB drives you use are all internal, then you only have one choice - the Mac Pro. If they are external, then you can go with something else. The mini will even do what you want, as long as you upgrade the ram to a max of 4gb.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would get a Mac Pro. You could use a Mini, but you said that you use 1 TB drives and do lots of photography. The Mac Mini isnt exactly a very good choice for this, at all. Now, if you are on a budget, I would suggest looking into a used/refurb/new Mac Pro.

Apple right now doesnt have any cheap Mac Pro up, but here is one http://store.apple.com/us/product/FA970LL/A?mco=MjE0NjQ1OA

I would also suggest buying from a company like MacMall. No sales tax (in most states) and mail-in-rebates. http://macmall.com:80/ttsvr/n/Mac-Pro/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.225

Hope this helps.