Replacing early 2008 MBP charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ravich, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

So I was sitting in my room and I heard a weird pop noise. I thought maybe it was the plastic mat under my chair, but then I smelled a weird burning smell, and then I noticed that my laptop wasnt charging. I went ahead and sniffed the Apple square thing that is in between the laptop cord and the outlet cord, and sure enough, it was... smoky.

Point being, my charger broke. How do I replace a charger for my specific MBP model? I know that early 2008 is a bit old.

2. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

take it to the apple store and explain,that should not happened to a charger at all.they may replace it for free.

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? It's not under warranty by a long shot. They'd just replace it?

4. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Take it to Apple.

At best, they will give you a free-replacement.
    At 2nd best, they will sell you an out-of-warranty replacement (which is ~15% less than retail).
    Worst, they will sell you a replacement for full-retail (which is about ~$80).

6. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only have a mac store nearby. The apple store is about an hour drive away so I cant just pop in. I called apple care to check and they said there was no recall on the charger so I'd have to buy a new one, which I can do at the local mac store.

Thanks for the answers everyone.