Replacing eMac case screws?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wickedking94, Jun 9, 2012.

1. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

Does anybody know where I can get replacement screws/hex bolts that hold the case on an eMac? Mine are stripped beyond use.

Also has anyone had problems with the case screws on their eMac stripping? because mine stripped when i was upgrading the hard drive and now i cant get them off to upgrade the cd drive.

whoever chose the case screws for the eMac was an idiot.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

eBay.

My first PowerBook from eBay came with a lot of case screws missing because the previous owner had torn it apart to try and "fix" something, lost the screws and so just put it back together without them. I found a complete set of case screws for it on eBay and now it's got everything.

As to stripping the screws on your eMac, Apple tends to use a special type of screw called a Torx screw. If you don't have a Torx wrench you can strip the screws if you try to use a hex wrench.

Not saying that's what you did, just putting that out there if you didn't know already. Torx wrenches can be bought online or from a computer store.

3. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

US home depots have a socket/bit set for less than $5 that includes the proper torx bits for all macs, as well as a magnetic bit, and all the other common bits and sizes. All you need to addis a nut driver, or a ratcheted screwdriver. I have used it with my eMac, pm g5, iBook, and pm g4.

"Workforce 34 piece power tool accessory kit" SKU500529

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

eMac's use hex screws on their cases, not Torx screws. This screw was chosen to make the eMac difficult to disassemble. Remember, it was designed to be used in classrooms and schools. Students tend to unscrew things when they are bored.

5. Lwllis macrumors newbie

Where abouts in the world are you ? I'm selling my eMac for £10 in the uk it's a 1ghz model with 512 ram but no hdd .

6. wickedking94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bit late for a reply, but I've tried ebay and cant find anything.
    I did find one site but they want 5$ a screw plus shipping.

Also i'm in canada so getting a big eMac shipped to me would probably cost a fortune.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

You can try to remove stripped screws using torx bits with a slightly bigger diameter than original hex ones. You have nothing to lose now. Good quality bits (CrV ones) should do the trick.

8. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

It won't be for three weeks, but I know of a school that has a bunch of emacs. I will see if they have any dead ones. If so, I will send you a set of screws if you pay postage. Keep in mind it is still weeks away, and a big 'if' if they have one and are willing to part with it. So if you find a financially sensible solution in the mean time, go for it.