Replacing first iMac G5: camcorder + desktop vs notebook dilema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hirsthirst, Nov 3, 2008.

1. hirsthirst macrumors regular

hirsthirst

Hello all, been lurking a while, but this is my first post - you folks seem very on the ball with this stuff, so appreciate any & all advice.

Requirement: I want to replace our iMac G5 with a newer Mac that will handle all our growing multimedia needs - mainly photos + iPhone sync + iTunes, plus Sony HDR-SR movies to DVD.

With a single 1.8ghz chip our iMac is slightly below the spec for iLife 08 that I understand I need for the HD camcorder (I'm not necessarily after HighDef, just burning regular DVDs) but otherwise fine. It also won't recognise my wifes new iPhone 3G on 10.3.9

My wife also wants a Mac notebook, mainly for web surfing. Dilema is I'm slightly reluctant to put all of our eggs in one basket with a new (and expensive) Macbook that I don't "control" (eg: backup, keep patched, make sure put away at night etc), so I'd rather buy a new/used desktop and maybe an older Macbook from eBay etc.

Other kit in house which connects:
    - iPhone 3G
    - iPod
    - Fujifilm camera on USB dock
    - LaCie external HDD for movie footage storage (firewire + usb)
    - Work-owned IBM ThinkPad (good spec)
    - Sony PS3
    - Sony HDR-SR10 HDD camcorder
    - Sony HD LCD TV x 2

I was somewhat surprised that the iMac G5 is only worth about £250 on eBay (to sell), whilst a new entry level Macbook now starts at £949 new! Thinking of a new iMac Intel and a used Macbook - any hints?

What spec Macbook can I get away with for a reasonable wireless (in the house) websurfing experience if everything else is on the desktop please?

PS: I know I can upgrade the current iMac to Leopard & maybe take a chance on iLife 08 working, but reluctant to throw money down a dead end now. That'd be £150 I could put towards a £1,000 machine...

2. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Consider a base new white MacBook with a base 20" iMac. You get a year warranty and it might not cost that much more than ebay.

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Is the G5 really too slow? Is there the possibility of maxing the RAM, adding Leopard and getting a macbook as a supplement? I'm keen on making things last see...

4. ecompuplus macrumors newbie

I personally like the G5. You can choose on adding more RAM but keep in mind that it;ll cost $$$

5. hirsthirst thread starter macrumors regular

hirsthirst

Thanks all.

The G5 is fine for everything but for the two most important tasks - iPhone sync and uploading camcorder footage. I need to be on 10.4 & iLife '08, but the Apple site tells me the minimum entry requirement for iMovie '08 is a 1.9ghz processor and I have a 1.8ghz. I've done a lot of Googling, but can't find out whether this will work - no way to handle Sony HDR footage without iLife '08, and no way I'm going back to miniDV tapes now...

It's such a small stumbling block, but I'm filling up external storage with precious footage & no way to convert into DVDs.

I've found a used Macbook Intel G4 on eBay for £425 and a refurbished iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo in the Apple UK store for £969. Hadn't really wanted to throw £1,400 at the problem, but hey-ho...

6. hirsthirst thread starter macrumors regular

hirsthirst

No performance problems with 1.5GB RAM onboard, and would handle the Leopard upgrade fine I'm sure.

iLife '08 (specifically iMovie '08) is the issue:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB615

System Requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor; iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Why not look into at the requirements for iMovie 06 i think it still can be downloaded from the Apple site but not sure if 08 needs to be installed first

8. hirsthirst thread starter macrumors regular

hirsthirst

Thanks Neil.

I have iLife 06 installed, but it doesn't recognise HDD camcorders. iMovie 08 is required for that, but my single 1.8ghz CPU isn't supported.

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Oh thats a bummer, I'm fresh outa ideas then looks like your'll have to dig your wallet out for a upgrade, if HDD camcorders arn't supported i doubt there's a work round

10. hirsthirst thread starter macrumors regular

hirsthirst

Top man Leigh!

I promise you I did try a forum search for "iLife 08 + 1.8ghz" but you've nailed it... Will purchase upgrade software asap & post results here and in the linked thread.

My wife will be pleased you just doubled the Macbook budget... :eek:

11. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Yoiks! I haven't read those thoroughly so please don't hold it against me if all does not go to plan!!

good luck.