Replacing Folder Icons...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jnette, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jnette macrumors member

I just downloaded some nice folder icons off the apple download site. Of course NOW I don't know how to go about replacing the preinstalled icons with the new ones.. and there were no instructions with the download.

I sure don't want to end up losing all the contents of my current folders, so I'm leery about trying this myself. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1. Get info on both the icon and the folder you want to replace.

2. At the top of the Get Info window, there is a little version of the icon.

3. Click on the little new icon. Cmd+C

4. Click on the little folder icon you want replaced. Cmd+V

5. Close Get Info windows, and repeat for any others.

Steps 2-4 all take place in the Get Info Window.

There are also a number of utilities out there that will do this, like CandyBar, but many of them are not free.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

4. jnette thread starter macrumors member

umm... excuse me.. but I spent 20 minute looking for that original thread early this morning, as I had submitted a thread on this subject last night, you are so correct.

But I could not find it to save my life this morning, and I even used the search tool after not finding it.. still did not locate my thread from last night .Then I had to leave to head out of state to pick up my son at the airport and was gone for the day until just now.

So I thought I'd attempt it again early this morning before heading out....

In keeping with the Holiday Spirit, (if for no other reason) I'd ask that we not get too huffy right off the bat, and lighten up a bit.. give someone the benefit of the doubt before running off at the mouth with snarky and judgmental remarks. Thank you. :D

I thank you r.j.s. for your kind, prompt, and detailed response. I do appreciate your help ! :)

I'll give it a whirl and see how I do.. if I run into any snags, I may call on you again for assistance, and hope you don't mind. Some of us are still quite new at this, yanno. We have to start somewhere. Thanx again.

5. jnette thread starter macrumors member

w00t !

Downloaded Candycane as suggested, and son just helped me replace all the folder icons. He's the mac-pro and the one who turned me on to macs.

Anyway.. thanx for your help !

Mission accomplished. ;)

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No worries, we all make mistakes. And that's CandyBar. ;)

For future reference, you can find all posts you've made by clicking "Quick Links" in the little bar up top, choosing "My Profile", then clicking "Find all posts started by jnette".

7. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Good enough.. thanx Blue. And yes.. Candy BAR..sheeesh... it's been a long week. Sorry 'bout that, :)

Thanx again.