Replacing front frame of iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ct2k7, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Hi,

I've somehow got a small dent on the frame of my iPhone 4. I don't know where it came from, and it happened yesterday.

The dent itself is on the frame of the iPhone, however, although it's miniscule, I can notice it, and feel it.

Is there any way the front frame can be replaced?

Thanks.

2. kolax macrumors G3

What do you mean 'front' frame? The glass? Or the frame that goes round the side that is the iPhone 4's skeleton?

3. cirial macrumors regular

I don't have a front frame on my iPhone 4... Just glass. There's a shiny metal frame on the sides though.

I wouldn't worry about it. Are you really going to disassemble your whole phone, void the warranty just to replace a $100 frame?

Goto an Apple store and swap your phone out for one of the many problems that these phones have would be my best advice. Even then that's slightly untrustworthy.

4. starbot macrumors regular

not certain if the parts are out yet, but within a month you will absolutely be able to do so. google/ebay for the part. you will need to be somewhat experienced with disassembling/reassembling electronics to insure you do not mess up your device.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't have "many" problems. They're just overrepresented in this forum. Really no different from the numerous reports of cracking 3G/3GS, original iPhone screens, etc.

6. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

7. kolax macrumors G3

Ah.

You'll have a bit trouble replacing that - if I recall correctly, the whole front of the iPhone 4 is a complete unit, so if you want to replace the front frame, you'll need to replace the display, digitiser and front glass at the same time.

Shame, because the iPhone 3G/S wasn't like that and you could easily replace the front glass on its own. But, the iPhone 4, it seems that it is a complete unit and doing what you want won't be possible.

If you are in doubt, email the guys at iFixit and they'll be able to tell you.

8. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

It also looks like you have to remove the board to get to the screen frame bit :/ screw.