Replacing G5 Dual 2.3GHz PowerMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wacomme, Jul 29, 2009.

1. wacomme macrumors regular

In light of the Snow Leopard announcement, the time has come to start thinking about replacing my G5 PowerMac with an Intel-based computer. But which one?

While I do a lot of web surfing and MS Office work, I'm also a photographer who uses Aperture and Photoshop a lot. I use 4 - 5 1TB drives (mostly storage), and tend to have several applications open at once. I'm often multitasking - a dozen tabbed websites on two web browsers (Safari and Firefox), Photoshop open, Aperture open, Word and Excel open, iTunes playing, Mail, Calendar, and 2-3 more programs also operating at the same time. I currently have one Dell 20" monitor, but plan to either get a 26-30" monitor, or use a dual monitor system in the near future. I calibrate my monitor(s). I have one, dual-bay, SATA enclosure and one single SATA external case.

I also want a new monitor too. I want the NEC 26" 2690 or the more expensive 30" 3090, but don't have the money for purchasing both a computer and the monitor at the same time. With Snow Leopard shipping in August, I'll likely buy a new Mac before I purchase a new monitor. However, is this the best priority? Should I wait for new Mac Pro's? If so, how long would I need to wait?

Anyway, what Mac would you suggest for me and why?

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

If I was you I would just go out and buy a mac pro, make sure you get at least 8gb's of ram though for that multi tasking. I wish I had the money you do lol. I have almost the same needs as you I can be found running about 10 apps at once with 10-20 tabs open at anytime I also use aperture and photoshop and I do all this on my mac mini, which to say the least is rather unpleasant lol

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I you want to wait for new Mac Pros, be prepared to wait until February/March 2010 at least.

5. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

MAcPros RULE, I can't tell you how messed up it is working on a G5 at work when I have the monster in my sig waiting at home.
    Buy a MACPRO & never look back.
    (Well, maybe in 4-5 years)

6. wacomme thread starter macrumors regular

If buy now, which Mac Pro?

Which one? 4-core or 8-core?

Apparently there's no reason to wait for buying a Mac Pro.

Michael

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If the applications you use utilize more than 4 cores, get the 8 core, if not, 4 cores will be fine.

8. wacomme thread starter macrumors regular

*-core?

Looking ahead the next three years, how will I know if my apps will utilize more than 4-cores?

Michael