Replacing glossy screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ja Di ksw, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Is it possibly to make the 15" screen non-glossy? Replacing it somehow, or putting something on it? I went and looked at them in the store today and the glare was horrible. If I can't replace it somehow I might just go with the 17" and choose the matte option.

2. kolax macrumors G3

There's a rumour suggesting Apple might introduce matte back to the laptop range.

17" has the benefit of the high resolution, if portability isn't too much of an issue.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Colorware PC will do it for around $300. TechRestore is rumored to be introducing the option soon for around $200.

4. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Kilamite - Yeah, I saw that, but I'm on a limited time frame. My computer broke, and I need a new one ASAP. On top of that, I moved to Vienna, Austria, but am about to take a 11 day trip back to the States where the computers are a TON cheaper. I can't really wait, and even if I could, I would have to pay hundreds more to get it in Austria :(.

thegoldenmackid - Ugh, fairly pricey. Might be worth it, but it would actually cost less to just get the 17" :D

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

TechRestore will swap it out for you for $199
    Not cheap, but if it bothers you that much check it out.

6. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Question, if I get the 17" with the glossy screen instead, is it set up like the old PowerBook's? Or does it still have the glass in front like the new ones?

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

8. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Not so. If you do the Matte finish on the 17" they have a silver border. I don't know if they still have glass, though.

9. kolax macrumors G3

No glass. Thankfully.