Replacing GS21N super drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Evosil98, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Evosil98 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, my late 2008 macbook unibody mb466ll/a super drive is broken.

I need to buy a replacment model # GS21N.

I've been looking on ebay and amazon and found a few sellers but not sure how reliable they are. The two I found was CBear and power-Optical.

Power-Optical sells the super drive for $47 and was manufactured in Oct 2008.

cbear sells on amazon for $65 and was manufactured in Aug 2012.

I quite don't understand the different manufactured dates. Does that mean the 2012 is new and 2008 is refurbished or old stock?

Does anyone know other good trusted sellers that sell new super drives?

Thanks for the help

2. FebruaryFilly macrumors newbie

I'm in the exact same boat. I ordered an optical drive off newegg. They told me a GS31N was an acceptable replacement for my model. Now that it's here, it's not. Owc has told me they don't have a replacement optical drive for unibodies. Apple tells me a new drive is $120. Gulp! Getting an external seems counterintuitive bc when I use my drive is while I'm traveling. So why would I want to haul around yet another piece of hardware? Not sure where to go to find a reliable replacement at a better cost. I'm also finding my model (MacBook 13" unibody late 2008) is kind of this in between step child among models. A unibody but NOT a pro.