Replacing Hard Drive Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sparkomatic, Mar 3, 2010.

1. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I'm thinking about picking up a 640GB HD to replace the 320GB in my unibody.

My question is... I just want to transfer everything over from my existing drive to the new one. What's the best way to do it?

Thanks for the advice!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Clone the old drive to the new one using SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner. You'll need an enclosure for the new drive, which can then be used for the old drive as an external after the swap.

3. witness macrumors 6502

The external enclosure is a great idea. I have a few.

But I usually take the opportunity of a primary drive upgrade to clean up a little. There's nothing like an evening of re-installing and configuring ;)

4. sparkomatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Thanks! My main concern is iTunes. Keeping those files and my libraries there.

I was also thinking of popping in the new drive and just starting from scratch. If I were to do that, and putting the 500GB in an external case, once I have the new drive in and OS installed, could I just pick files off the old drive using Finder and copy them over?

5. sparkomatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Anyone know if I can take my existing drive, pop it in an enclosure, and then connect it to my mac and pull files off it through Finder? Thanks for the help all!

6. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Couldn't you just back up your current drive with time machine to an external HD, install the new drive, and restore with Time Machine?

7. sparkomatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Yes, but I'm thinking I'd like to just do a fresh install and then move certain files over from my old drive. Specifically, iTunes files.

I suppose I could just copy all files over to an external drive which is always an option too. It'd be easier if I could just take the drive out, throw it in an enclosure and use that as my external (assuming I'll be able to read from it).

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

I can't see way you would not be able to read the current drive after putting it inside an external enclosure. Unless it is broken or you have a loose cable it should work. Youshould even be able to boot from the external.

9. sparkomatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Awesome. Thanks Chris!

I figured it would work but just wanted to get an expert forum opinion.

10. witness macrumors 6502

I've done this in the past without issue. (though as noted, you should really be using TM)