Replacing Hard Drive...Best Brand and Time Machine???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jayeskreezy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok I'm thinking of replacing my hard drive because I don't have a desktop and 120gb is just not cutting it at all. I have music stuff and logic is a HD hog. Anyway, is it best that I get a Fujitsu drive like what's in my MBP OR is there a better HD brand?

Also, is there a way that I can back up my hard drive exactly as it is and just open an image on the new hard drive to basically have the exact same computer and settings I had without re-installing leopard and everything else? Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I usually use Hitachi and Seagate drives myself, but the WD Scorpios are pretty good as well.

If you're using Logic a lot, you really don't want to be using your boot hard drive as a working disk anyway (much slower performance). Seriously, buy a FW800 external for that purpose.

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to do that. I cloned a drive on its last leg in a PBG4 like that.

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks yall. Any other suggestions on hard drives?

-J

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Whatever is on sale at Newegg will probably be fine. I try to stay away from WD drives. We have a lot of Dells in the office and the WD drives seem to fail a lot.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I just updated my wife's Macbook with a Seagate 250GB, 5400 RPM HDD. Like many here, I bought from newegg.

Do yourself a favor and buy a nice case for the old HDD. I like the Macally line of cases ... they cost a little more, but I think they're worth it.

As for software, I never really took to Carbon Copy Cloner, so I bought SuperDuper. It works great.

Also, it might be a good idea to get a desktop HDD of the same size (or larger) than your replacement laptop HDD. Since you'll probably get CCC or SuperDuper, you could use that as a backup drive. Or get a real big one and use Time Machine.

ft

7. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

My personal experience....

I used Time Machine when I replaced my hard drive. The restore went well. Got to about 30% and then said it was complete and prompted to reboot.

After the reboot, I found that my iTunes library did not restore (that was the biggest notice) as well as some smaller files. I also had to re-load registration codes for programs. I run Fusion and my virtual machine didn't restore either.

The good part was that the files were in Time Machine... I just had to find them and copy them back over.

In the end it all worked okay. I'm not sure if my restore just had a hiccup or that's normal with Time Machine.

I haven't heard issues like this with Carbon Copy so that might be a better way to go.

8. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

probably are using the less than par drives or even older drives (re-manufactured etc...and they "fail" because theyre in a dell :p)

I've had nothing but the best with WD, primarily in their desktop drives (the AAKS series is top notch) and now the Caviar Black series is really nice; i set up a PC notebook with 2x160GB Caviar Black drives in Raid and its phenomenal.

i'm also getting the WD Scorpio for my MBP :)

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I've read good things about this drive and that place has it on sale cheaper than you'd find at New Egg (found it on slickdeals.net, looks like the other posted here but 7200rpm and 16MB buffer instead of 8MB). I personally would never go back to a 5400rpm drive again after having a 7200rpm in my MBP. Currently 320GB is as big as you can get in a 7200rpm drive that fits in the MBP I think. The 500GB version of the one I linked to should be out soon, but is more than double the price.

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well for well over a year now I've been using a 160GB Western digital (WD) hard drive and it's been working great over since, just can't give it to much too do at once or it might slow down, but only by a little.