Replacing hard drive in a mid-2009 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elfy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. elfy macrumors 6502

Hi there. My MacBook Pro has been doing the spinning beachball freezing thing for a while. I've wiped it and reinstalled Snow Leopard a couple of times and it's just getting worse. I ran disk utility and it said there is an invalid node structure error. I think the hard drive is basically on its last legs.

I'm looking at replacing the drive and wondered if anyone knew more about compatibility than I do. The computer is a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz. Would I be right in thinking as long as the replacement drive is SATA 2 3gb/s then it should work?

This one for example?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500gb-seagate-st500lm012-spinpoint-m8-25-hdd-95-mm-sata-ii-3gb-s-5400rpm-8mb-cache-12ms

2. SpecFoto, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

SpecFoto macrumors member

Yes that should work just fine. The SATA 3 drives are backwards compatible though. I used a Spinpoint Mt9 1.5TB Sata 3 drive in my 2008 13" MBP, it just ran at 3gb/s, not 6. So if you thinking of upgrading your Mac to a newer model any time soon, you may want to buy the faster drive. I believe it was 2012 that the MBP internal speed was upped, as my 15" 2012 MBP is 6gb/s.

3. elfy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man, good info. I've just got a Mac Mini. The MacBook is my wife's, so if we can get it running again I won't be upgrading for a while. Cheers.

4. jogo23 macrumors newbie

While at it, why not upgrade to a SSD? Day and night difference compared to a HDD. I'd recommend the Crucial MX100. I installed it in my MBP mid 2010 and it runs amazing.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If your wife doesn't need too much capacity, I'd tell you to consider sticking a SSD in there instead of a mechanical hard drive. There'd be quite a nice boost in general snappiness which could mean keeping that computer around even longer.