Replacing hard drive in late 2008 macbook, getting ? folder

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by apollosministry, Feb 10, 2011.

1. apollosministry macrumors newbie

Hello,

Wonder if anyone can help me with my issue.

I have a late 2008 Macbook 2.4 ghz, 4 gb ram, 250 gb hard drive and purchased a 640 gb hard drive for more space from new egg. I went to replace 250 gb hard drive, put in the new one and all i get is grey folder with ? inside?

I put in the OS disc to install but disc won't come out and the folder just keeps blinking?

I was told when you put in disc, to push the option key, i get nothing, and not sure what to do from here? any help? would the new hd be bad?

I put in the 250 gb hd so i could get back to the internet and to work but my macbook is needing space, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan
    :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have to format the drive before you install the OS on it. It's a little strange that you aren't able to see the startup disc when you hold "Option" on startup; try holding "C" to force it to start from the disc.

...or maybe you're using the wrong disc.

3. Jesseeee macrumors newbie

If you can't get your OS X disc back:

1. Insert a straightened paper clip into the hole by your CD slot to get the disc back.

2. Insert the Mac OS X disc in the computer again with the computer on, but first verify it's a valid Installation Disc and not the Extras disc (Leopard).

3. Restart the computer. If it cannot find a hard drive, the Macbook will automatically load a valid CD/DVD.

4. If it is the valid installation disc, keep trying booting with the Alt/Option key until it recognizes the disc. Sometimes it takes a few reboots. Sometimes you need to wait about ten seconds for it to recognize the disc.

(I know this sounds like complete IT help desk garbage, but this actually worked when I accidentally erased the bootloader and GPT table off my hard drive. It wouldn't recognize the DVD for the first couple of restarts)

4. apollosministry thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your input!

I have done this 3 times, but never tried the paper clip thing! you mean stick a paper clip in the drive?

The disk is the Mac OS X install DVD right?
    I also have a Applications Install DVD
    And I purchased Snow Leopard and have that install DVD

If this works, do i need to run all of these?

I understand I have to format but if I can't get off the ? folder screen, how can you do anything?

I did wait like 10 min. all 3 times?

I guess I will try it again

5. Jesseeee macrumors newbie

Whoops!

I take back what I said about the paper clip; turns out that only works on the desktops (or at least not my macbook when I actually looked =) ). Whoops!

Your Install DVD should work. If you're still not getting anything when you're holding alt and starting up, and you want to eject the disc, pressing the eject button SHOULD make it go out.

6. apollosministry thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for letting me know about the paperclip!

Yeah, I will hold alt the entire time my computer starts and when i putting in the install DVD