Replacing Hard Drive in my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kajochims, Jul 27, 2011.

1. kajochims macrumors newbie

I have decided to replace the Hard Drive in my 2007 Macbook, and was thinking of getting this one and wanted to make sure it was a good choice.

I am honestly fairly clueless when it comes to the ins and outs of computers, but want to 'overhaul' my computer to ensure I get a couple more years of good usage out of it. Anything else that should be done to do this? I use my computer mostly just for light internet usage and school work.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

These are my specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.17f0

Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The black series run hotter and noisier than you may be used too. If you can put up with that it's a great little drive

3. kajochims thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hard drive that will run a little quieter and cooler? My Mac gets pretty hot the way it is, so I'd like to avoid that problem if possible.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same drive but in the green series will reduce noise and heat. Or a nice ssd (no noise and blistering speed!)

5. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I don't like the green series, bad experiences/track record.

Those were mostly the first generation ones, I wonder if they worked out the kinks now.

6. kajochims thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I went for a SSD, what capacity would I want? I'm just a poor college kid and looking at the 500GB I almost choked on my tongue.