Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I saw on fixit.com the way to remove the hard drive from a macbook pro.

Has anyone done it and had any problems doing it? Does the genius bar do hard drive upgrades if you bring in a new drive?

I want to go to a Seagate 160...

Thanks for comments...

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Yeah, I've done it 15-20 times. Usually takes about 15 minutes. It isn't hard, just takes some time, a small screwdriver, and when you first do it, the ability to read directions :rolleyes:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yeah, I've done it 15-20 times. Usually takes about 15 minutes. It isn't hard, just takes some time, a small screwdriver, and when you first do it, the ability to read directions :rolleyes:

Well, real men don't read directions... :p

I was referring to any changes as I got a newer C2D iMac and was expecting to open it for adding ram and found out that, No you don't... I did what I always did on the older imacs and almost had a real mess on my hands. Found the little cover. Like, what? Is it full of state secrets?

Anyway, I was wondering if Apple pulled a changeroo on the drive replacement process...

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I've changed mine (in my sig below) to a 200GB 7200rpm Hitachi drive. it took me about an hour because the screws in the MBP are super tiny which means you need a super tiny screwdriver and a T6 Torx driver.

just be super careful not to strip out any screws along the way and you should be fine.

crzdmniac

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
It's pretty easy to do, as long as you have a #00 phillips screw driver and a T6 torx. On the SR MBP the bluetooth is no longer next to the HD, so don't go looking like crazy for it. I swapped a 250GB Scorpio into mine.

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
I did it having never opened up a laptop before and as others have said its pretty straightforward, just make sure you have the right screws.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
And make sure you get all of them out. I read about a guy on here that went to do the same thing, forgot to remove of the screws and bent his keyboard/topcase assembly, bent it hardcore. So, follow all the directions.

2fives

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Surrey BC
I just dropped a 250gig :) in mine a few days ago when I bought Leopard. The only problem I had was I rushed tightening the screws back up and ahad to undo it all to re tighten in the right sequence.

What I'm saying is the latch didn't open easily. So what I had to do was tighten the two screws that are down inside the battery compartment by the latch. I tightened those first and all was good. It actually caused me quit a bit of grief and took me a while to do. But in my defence I went slow and steady and it was my first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.