Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquidtrance123

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Has anyone replaced the HD in their 24" iMac with a 10k rpm Raptor? Just curious on the noise / heat. The 160GB that came with my Powermac was actually MUCH hotter than my 10k Raptors and I'm just curious if anyone has tried it with success?

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
liquidtrance123 said:
Has anyone replaced the HD in their 24" iMac with a 10k rpm Raptor? Just curious on the noise / heat. The 160GB that came with my Powermac was actually MUCH hotter than my 10k Raptors and I'm just curious if anyone has tried it with success?

That sounds like a really nice upgrade. I mean the thing boots so fast as it is, it would scream with a 10k drive.

liquidtrance123

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sadly I've already outgrown my dual 2ghz g5 powermac and am looking for something much quicker with much better graphics. I've been eyeing the 24" iMac and the new Mac Pro, but if i get the Pro I'd also like a larger screen which would be WAY over my $ limit. So I've been fighting off buying a 24" iMac for awhile now :p

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
liquidtrance123 said:
Sadly I've already outgrown my dual 2ghz g5 powermac and am looking for something much quicker with much better graphics. I've been eyeing the 24" iMac and the new Mac Pro, but if i get the Pro I'd also like a larger screen which would be WAY over my $ limit. So I've been fighting off buying a 24" iMac for awhile now :p

Don't fight it anymore!!!

If you replace your HD you WILL void your warranty...

It can be done though...

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
Interesting, I didn't think that putting in a new hard drive in an iMac would void the Applecare warranty. :(

I was also planning on upgrading my 24" iMac in the future with a larger, faster hard drive.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Is there a seal on the iMac which, if broken, voids the warranty? Or is it just a case that if they find non-standard parts inside they won't honour Applecare?

If its the latter surely you can just swap the original drive back in if it ever has to go in for service?

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
What if I take it in to the Apple Store? Would they be able to upgrade the HD for me? I'm already pushing the limit with my media, and I've still got stuff sitting on DVD. How am I supposed to watch all my stuff on iTV when I've only got 160 gigs? :(

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Replacing the HD in your iMac will void the warranty.

The only iMacs that the warranty will not be void on are the Rev A and Rev B iMac G5's. When Apple brought in the Rev C they changed everything around and totally fubared the whole inside of the iMac so that the only thing that was user upgradeable (and not voiding the warranty) was Ram.

I have talk to a couple Apple reps on the phone and they all tell me that I can replace the hard drive or ram in my Rev B and not void the warranty.

Sorry for your luck but apple really went backwards when they redesigned the internals of the Rev C iMac G5 and onward.

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
I wonder if they actually go out of the way to check the physical hard drive installed or do they just look at the build order with a 250GB drive and notice that the storage space says 500GB.

This is one of the most disappointing bits of information I have read about Apple on these boards. It is good to know though because I would probably do it anyway and need to keep the other hard drive if I ever have it serviced. The only reason I bought Apple Care for was for the LCD. It would suck to have the LCD go out and not be able to use the entire computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.