Replacing HD in AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dissdnt, Feb 2, 2009.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

So I think i might take the plunge soon and replace the HD in my AppleTV. 40 Gigs just isn't cutting it. And i really want to use it as a main media hub.

I was googling around some tutorials, they seem pretty straight forward.

Has anyone done it? And what is the MAX had size you can use in it? I really want to throw something big in there like a terabyte drive.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

250 GB is the maximum internal drive, as the connector is PATA.

Cave Man has a 750 GB setup, but that's with a 3.5" drive cabled externally.

3. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's a desktop drive (3.5"). The ATV takes a notebook drive (2.5"). As TS said, largest capacity available is 250 gb.

Of course, there is an eSATA hack if you're really brave. ;)

5. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

LOL it probably required a solder gun, so no :)

Thanks.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Nope, no soldering required. In fact, it's nondestructive. You can reassemble your Apple TV if you ever decide to. I've even connected a 1.5 TB drive to mine.

7. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Saucy, is it all in the package or you have it setup externally. I wanna keep mine all closed up and perty.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's external. The ATV generates too much heat on its own. Even if I could put a 3.5" drive in it, it would be bad, bad, bad. Probably overheat in a matter of minutes.

There was one poster (I forget who) who claims to have put in a PATA to SATA adapter and a 500 gb 2.5" SATA drive in his ATV, but I've not seen him provide any details on it. It would be a nice setup if it could be done.