Replacing HD in late 09 iMac, need some help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maximumsportz, Apr 15, 2012.

1. maximumsportz macrumors regular

Well my late 09 imac HD is failing. It has a Seagate ST31000528ASQ HD. I've been looking up a replacement but can't find a straight answer. I know it has the exact brand because of the temp wire on the HD.

Can someone just tell me the best way to go about replacing this drive and even with the exact model number.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can buy any 3.5" SATA hard drive. No brand is better than any other; buy the one with the best warranty for your budget and size requirements.

3. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

What about the temp sensor, I know ppl were having issues with it coming on all the time..

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

My recommendation is to either call or do an online chat with support at www.macsales.com (OWC) to get recommendations. Either that or take the machine in for service at an AASP or Apple Store to have the drive replaced. An AASP has more flexibility than an Apple Store, meaning the Apple Stores normally will only replace with the same drive that was originally installed.

You may get all kinds of other offbeat recommendations such as shorting out the temp sensor, adding software to control the fans etc.. however IMHO I'd ignore those.

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Any of these will work:

http://www.thebookyard.com/mac_hard_disks.php?manufacturers_id=18&sort=2a&filter_id=172

Better yet use any drive and take a a small piece of wire bend it round in a U shape, put one end in each of the temp sensor terminals, job done.

You can also install any drive and use SMC Fan Control if you prefer not to short the temp sensor. It's very easy to do.

If you don't want to spend a small fortune on the answer above mine then buy one of the official drives I linked to.

Hope that helps.

6. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, thanks for the help just was there was someone out there who replaced their drive and just tell me the exact one they used.

Thanks

7. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

i replaced my hd a seagate barracuda 250gb with a seagate barracuda 1tb and have had no probs with it since as my comp came with a barracuda hd thought it best replace like for like. go to seagate.com to see specs. just swap /load /run-. i bought mine from ebuyer as was reasonably priced.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I put a SSD in my 27" 2009 iMac. Shorted out the temperature sensor as mentioned before and its works great. I had to find a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket.