Replacing HD in NEW MBP voids applecare warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ombatay, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Ombatay macrumors newbie

I can't find anything updated to mention this. Steve bragged during the keynote about the ease with which you can now replace the HD, so surely this is considered a DIY upgrade like the ram? Looks even easier to replace than ram...

2. sal macrumors 6502

With the new macbook pro, i doubt that it voids your warranty, otherwise they wouldn't make it easy to do.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nope, it's user upgradeable, in the words of Steve Jobs "Just pop out the back, the battery and hard disc"....

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

And thank goodness. This was my number one complaint with the Macbook Pro. I wasn't willing to buy one because of that.

If it had Blu Ray... :( (And I'd like an upgraded GPU...a year later and we get the same thing?!?)

5. sal macrumors 6502

same here. I was mainly ticked off that it came with a small 120gb drive at the time(larger drives were too expensive). I ended up putting in a 320gb drive later on(voiding my warranty)

if I do buy the new MBP, it already comes with a 320gb drive so even though I have the ability to change the drive, 320 is enough for me as is.(I am only using about 200gb)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If Apple gives instructions on how to replace the HD on any model (which they do on the new MBP, page 38 of the User Guide), then doing so doesn't void the warranty.

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I loved how the Macbook did it, so I bet this will be similar. Really proud of Apple for fixing that, and making a point of it!

I actually submitted a request thingee for it.

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If it did void the warranty, Apple would have such a lawsuit since instructions are listed on MBP documents, there's diagrams on the back panel, and also Steve told us we could.

9. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

They have a special TAB in there for you to pull to remove the drive after only unhooking ONE latch...

what do you think, hehe :p

its all ready for your 50TB SSD :cool:

10. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I think you'll be waiting a while on that 50TB flash drive :D