replacing hdd and optical bay will void warranty if user replaced

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shanimal, Feb 5, 2012.

1. shanimal, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

shanimal macrumors member

Just called apple care and the tech said that the hdd and optical bay can be replaced but only by an apple technician at an Apple certified store. If you do it yourself it will void warranty. Only parts that can be replaced by you is ram. Thought i should share because I saw a thread a while back that said that it will.not void your warranty. i just want to know how they would know who did it, unless you broke it or something. my ssd comes on tuesday and the caddy comes friday-tuesday so i kind of dont want to make two trips for this task. and you know im not waiting when i have my shiny new toy : )

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Replacing your RAM or SSD/HDD will not void the warranty, unless you damage something in the process. Replacing the optical drive will void the warranty.

3. shanimal thread starter macrumors member

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I understand. I was just clarifying the facts for you. There's a lot of misinformation out there.

From the MacBook Pro User Guide:

Installation of user-installable parts does not void the Apple Warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan, unless you damage something in the process.

5. shanimal thread starter macrumors member

OK. have you ever put a caddy in your optical bay for an extra hdd/ssd? is it easy to screw up on?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I haven't tried that modification, but if you search the forum for "optibay" you'll find dozens of threads with many helpful posts.

7. shanimal thread starter macrumors member

8. Phaeton Place macrumors newbie

I just swapped out the optical drive and put my HD in a caddy using the videos at OWC. Super easy to do, as was installing an SSD and 16 GB ram. Took less than an hour and I needed was a tool kit. Can't get any easier than that.

Mark

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.381474,-81.675904