Replacing HDD and Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by finn313, Sep 24, 2010.

1. finn313 macrumors newbie

So I want to upgrade my 250GB HDD in my MacBook Pro but have been holding off for one big reason...iTunes. I have my iTunes library set up the only way i've ever done it. All my albums are playlists. Does anyone know if was to get an external HDD and make it a time machine, if it will save the playlists and files in iTunes, i know that time machine makes an image of your disc, but to what extent? I want to do this so i can just backup from time machine when i install the new HDD. I don't want to have to go through and remake all the playlists again!!!

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

It's easier than that.

Plug in your external. Then go in to the "Advanced" area of your Itunes Preferences. There is an area in there to specifiy where you want it to store your iTunes Library.

Change that to your external drive. It should move everything there as long as you have it set to "Allow Itunes to Manage my Library."

Just make sure you see the files on your external drive before you do the next move.

3. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I can tell you that when I did a fresh install of my OS, I migrated my stuff over from a time machine backup on an external drive.

everything came over EXACTLY the same - itunes, my settings, preferences for all my apps - the whole shot - exactly the same

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Same here. Time Machine worked perfectly migrating to a new Mac.

BTW, I wouldn't move my library to the external because:
    1. You'll need to carry the external around if you want music.
    2. You won't have a backup of your music.

I'd leave the music on your MacBook (stored on your new, larger internal drive) and let time machine do it's hourly backups from now on. The peace of mind is worth it.