Replacing HDD, do I really need a plastic spudger & disconnect battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gianmarco, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Gianmarco, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013

Gianmarco macrumors member

I have seen countless tutorial videos on how to do this and can pretty much do it blindfolded now.

However, this particular video stated to use a plastic spudger, and to disconnect the battery:

Is this really necessary? I all the other videos I have seen, the battery isn't even touched once the computer is shut off completely, let alone disconnected with a plastic spudger.

Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You could probably get away with not using a spudger, but it makes it a little easier to get the job done. However, you really should disconnect the battery. Working on electronics can be hazardous to you and the devices you're working on. You should always disconnect/remove power sources, outlets and batteries.

3. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

I agree. Spudger makes it easy to walk out that battery connector. it's cheap so why not buy one?

4. kensic macrumors 6502

nope dont need those...just a good screw driver to open the hatch.

don't even need to disconnect the battery

5. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Um. A finger works just as good. It's not exactly screwed in. Just peel it off. I've opened up and worked on MBP's countless times and I've never used or needed a spudger for anything.

6. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

I know someone from here shorted their battery because he used a screw driver. Not worth it.

7. kensic macrumors 6502

not to use it on the battery...u need a screw driver to open the panel lol

u dont need to disconnect the battery to replace hdd....laptops are not that dedicate.

8. Gianmarco thread starter macrumors member

I'm just gonna play but safe and get a plastic spudger at home Depot on the way home.

9. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Use your finger, I've disconnected my battery like 20 times this way. They tell you to use it so you buy their tool kit. However on some components the spudger can be useful.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Might as well as pick up an anti static mat and wrist band while you're at it. ;)