Replacing HDD in my MBP - need some help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon08, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I plan to replace the HDD in my early-2008 MBP soon. I will then do a clean install of Snow Leopard on the new HDD. (From what I understand, I wouldn't need Leopard pre-installed on the HDD. Correct?)

So once the new HDD is placed inside the MBP and everything put back together: how can I then check the HDD for possible errors/malfunction right off the bat and format it (before installing anything on it)?

Is there anything else I should pay attention to before running the new HDD?

Thanks!

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Disk Utility is included on the Snow Leopard install disc (in the menus), and no, you do not need Leopard installed to load Snow Leopard.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

So I can simply pop in the Snow Leopard disc right away and first do a format through Disk Utility, and then perform the clean install?

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good, thanks man. Another quick question: when in Disk Utility, there's a bunch of options of how you can format your disk. Which one should I choose?

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Or something else?

6. MacManiac87 macrumors newbie

Yup, Mac OS Extended Journaled. The first time I replaced a disc I bought one from Newegg, and I put in Panther, and the HD didn't show up! It was formatted in windows, so start up the MBP, you'll get a flashing ? sign, that's cool, just put in SN, disc Utility, Mac OS E Journaled,

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! So while it's formatting the disk, it will automatically check all the sectors on the disk for possible errors/malfunction, and will notify me if something is potentially wrong with the disk?

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

The format in Disk Utility is not a sector by sector format, it's a "quick format"...

9. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, but is there a way to check the disk for errors right off the bat?

10. oculus42 macrumors 6502

You would need a disk utility to test it. You may find what you want in some Linux LiveCD, with which you could test the drive surface before trying to install Mac OS X.

11. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

If you are going to buy the "retail" version of the HD, it will/may have a CD with the necessary tool you are looking for... If you'll be getting an OEM HD, then a 3rd party application should do the trick.

12. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

The disc that comes with AppleCare has this feature as one of its tests.

13. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe it's going to be an OEM HD... what third party app would you recommend then?