Replacing HDD - No SMC click anymore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZAK248313, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ZAK248313 macrumors member

I dropped in an old 320GB 7200rpm into my unibody the other night (until more tests come back on the 500GB is going) and I no longer get that click the drive makes when the sudden motion sensor is activated.

Wondering if there's anything wrong?

I'm pretty sure I got the model without G-Shock because I know there's been conflicts.
    ST9320421AS

Anyone shed some light?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... No more 'Click'?
    Was your previous drive a Fujitsu?

The SMC isn't something built into the hard-drive's mechanism, it's
    actually a tiny bit of hardware, most probably in a chip, physically embedded on the logic board, somewhere. Thus, changing the HD won't disable it.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh... If you need proof and verify your SMC still work try this... LiquidMac

lol!!

4. ZAK248313 thread starter macrumors member

I thought it was just the head being taken off the drive disc and the click was this happening? The model that was doing this was a Hitachi I think. Stock in the unibody 15 MBP

Yeah, that still works- but its the HDD click that happened in the past with sudden movements I'm concerned about.

5. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

UltraNeo is 100% correct. The Sudden Motion Sensor is actually on the Logic Board of the notebook. It tells the drive to park its heads and the drive complies. It doesn't really matter what drive you use although I always recommend ones with high tolerances for vibrations just in general as there better for Notebooks that are going to be moved around.

The reason you can't hear the 'Click' is because your now using a Drive that is quieter when it parks the arm that's all ;)

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Don't worry yourself over it, it's not the end of the world and your system is working fine! You just need to remember that different hard-drives are developed with slightly different technology and built to different specifications.

7. ZAK248313 thread starter macrumors member

No probs- thanks dude. Was just a bit concerned when I stopped hearing it.

Thanks for clearing that up- just being paranoid a bit!

Cheers guys.