Replacing HDD on 2009 Imac Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drexl23, May 15, 2015.

1. drexl23 macrumors newbie

So i have to replace my2009 imacs hard drive. I recently went and bought the tools needed and the new HDD but do i really need to buy another in line digital thermal temperature sensor? Its $40 on OWC/Macsales, Id prefer not to purchase one if the drawbacks arent much to be concerned with. What am i risking by not replacing the old one or can i just re-attach the old one.

2. Stonefly macrumors regular

Stonefly

It depends what you bought. I replaced my seagate hdd with a seagate sshd. The temp sensor cable plugin was the same on both drives so it works fine. Reads the sshd temp and have no fan issues. It's late 2009 27" iMac.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I agree with Stonefly. It depends on the replacement drive. I noticed the Seagate Barracuda line of drives also seem to have the needed thermal sensor port.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Spend the $40, it's worth it. If you do not then you risk overheating the computer and killing your new HD.

5. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Depends on the drive that you purchase. Some already have the temp sensor connection ready to be connected.

I personally purchased the OWC $40 cable for my 2011 27" iMac, thus eliminating the fans to spin outta control. Well worth it...