Replacing HDD with SSD - iMac 27" Late 2009

Discussion in 'iMac' started by APtalent, Jul 26, 2012.

1. APtalent macrumors regular

I have a late '09 iMac 27". My HDD is failing and I've got it replaced under Apple's warranty. However it's once again started to fail the SMART test and it's time I replace it.

I would like to replace the internet HDD with an SSD. However I'm unfamiliar as to what is required for the installation. Would I need some sort of 3.5" to 2.5" drive bracket (where do I purchase it)? Also, regarding the temperature sensor, do I need to buy one?

I'm planning on purchasing this SSD.

Any guidance as to how to do the whole process, will be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Manic Nimrod macrumors newbie

3. APtalent thread starter macrumors regular

They have a guide on replacing the HDD, but not installing an SSD. Thanks for reply!

4. eddjedi macrumors regular

I recommend replacing the optical drive with an SSd. This is pretty much just plug and play with a $12 adapter. Replacing the internal HD with an SSD means you need both a bracket and some way of getting around the temperature sensor, none of which are ideal.

5. skuid87 macrumors regular

Agreed. If you don't use your optical drive frequently, this is by far the best solution. This way you get the benefit of a very fast machine with your OS & Apps on the SSD, and use the HDD for storage of media etc.

6. APtalent thread starter macrumors regular

The issue is that my hard drive is failing and I can't afford a replacement. I have several external hard drives at my disposal so I'll use that for my storage. All I'm loading on the SSD would be the OS, Adobe CS6 and Autocad.