Replacing Housing, a little bit stuck!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ricspooner, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ricspooner macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so be nice!!

I'm in the middle of replacing the housing on my old 3G so my girlfriend can use it and I've hit a bit of a problem, I've stripped everything down ok but now I'm re-assemblind I'm having trouble with both the volume controls and the sleep button. Niether of which seem to making contact with the pop switches (not sure of the real name) below (attached to the ribbon.

Volume Button
    The pop buttons are attached to the ribbon cable with some stickytape, this in turn is stuck to the metal clip that is mounted to the bezel with three tiny screws. When I stripped this down I didn't take note of whether the metal clip was attached on the inside or outside of the bezel. If you look at my photo below you will see that I've attached it to the inside of the bezel but this doesn't allow for the external rocker button (silver one) to clip the poppers......have I confused you enough yet? Basically the external button isn't making contact with whatever it's supposed to make contact with and that means it's recessed and not pokey outey as it should be.

Picture showing how I've mounted the metal clip
    [​IMG]

Picture showing how the volume button is recessed.
    [​IMG]

Sleep Button
    The sleep button is causing exactly the same problem, here is how I have it mounted.

picture empty sleep button hole with mounting holes for screws
    [​IMG]

picture showing sleep button in place
    [​IMG]

Picture showing ribbon cable and plastic support in place
    [​IMG]

Picture showing sleep button recessed
    [​IMG]

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong, I'm sure it must be stupidly obvious and you'll all have a good laugh at me....I don't mind!! :p

Thanks!

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

There should be small round spacers on the inside of the volume button where it presses against the volume membrane switches. Also, is your case genuine or a copy? I have to do some filing on copy cases since they aren't moulded perfectly.

3. ricspooner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Gadgetgeezer, I had thrown those spacers away but I improvised with an old Tescos clubcard and some sandpaper. Now the buttons work beautifully. The rest of the top screen assembly should arrive tomorrow....today cos it's 3am already :eek: so I'll see how effective my efforts have been.

Just hope she appreciates all the hard work!