Replacing icons in a theme

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I found some really nice Jaku icons and when I used iExplorer to look for the icon folders all I see in them is a file called icon2x.png. How to I replace an icon with another image within a theme?

Grayburn

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2010
London, England
I found some really nice Jaku icons and when I used iExplorer to look for the icon folders all I see in them is a file called icon2x.png. How to I replace an icon with another image within a theme?
You need to find the folder of the icon you want to replace.

For example if you want to change the Safari icon then look in the Bundles folder for com.apple.mobilesafari folder and replace/overwrite the icon inside with the new icon.

It has to have the same name though so either change the name of the original icon (i normally add another x after the 2) or just overwrite it if you dont want it anymore.

Comment

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
You need to find the folder of the icon you want to replace.

For example if you want to change the Safari icon then look in the Bundles folder for com.apple.mobilesafari folder and replace/overwrite the icon inside with the new icon.

It has to have the same name though so either change the name of the original icon (i normally add another x after the 2) or just overwrite it if you dont want it anymore.
First of all, thanks for replying in a civil manner. I totally expected a db to respond with "here's how you do it - it's called search."

I have located the folder of the theme and am looking to change icons within that particular theme. I found the folders that you mention but they all have the same named file in them (1 per).

Comment

Grayburn

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2010
London, England
So, if it's just one then that'll be the icon that is being used at present. Name the new icon the same as the present one and drop it in the folder and it'll overwrite it.

Again if you want to keep it then rename it first.

Comment

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
So, if it's just one then that'll be the icon that is being used at present. Name the new icon the same as the present one and drop it in the folder and it'll overwrite it.

Again if you want to keep it then rename it first.
So if I checked the icon sets of a theme that wasnt in use they would have actual names not just icon2x.png? Almost like it was showing me a temp file because it was being used?

Comment

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I just replaced about 6 icons under the Jaku theme. All but the photo icons were named icon2x.png. I renamed the old ones to oldicon2x.png. Restarted and no change.

Comment

Grayburn

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2010
London, England
I just replaced about 6 icons under the Jaku theme. All but the photo icons were named icon2x.png. I renamed the old ones to oldicon2x.png. Restarted and no change.
Did you rename the new icons exactly (all lower case) like the old icons?

Did you respring in Winterboard?

Comment

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Respringing did the trick. Thanks. Can't find the LinkedIn location though. Appreciate the help.

Comment