replacing iMac for a laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jukich, Aug 25, 2013.

1. jukich macrumors newbie

Hello!

I own an mid 2011 27" iMac (3.1, i5, 12GB, 1TB, 256 GB SSD) and would like to change it for a laptop. I mainly use it for video and photo editing. I would like to swap it for a laptop that is in the same price range as my iMac.
    What would you suggest?
    Is Mac Book Air totally out of the quiestion?

Thank you!

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

That's a pretty powerful iMac, why don't you just purchase a low end MBA if you want portability to go with it...there's really no reason to get rid of such a new iMac with all the components you say it has in it.

3. jukich thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that there is a possibility of me going on a remote location for a year and I want to travel as light as possible.

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

For that usage, I don't think the Air is going to cut it. You're going to have to go rMBP. Assuming you buy refurb, I'm thinking you can plan to use proceeds plus ~$500 to get you into a mobile powerhouse.

5. jukich thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Jmac12345 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

New to this, this forum was the closest match without starting a new one, so here goes..

I have a 24" iMac mid 2007 4GB RAM + 320GB HD, great condition! For its age it is still nippy on mountain lion! So don't let the age deceive you! Because I'm now at sixth form I need some portability so Im wondering if a straight swap for a late 2008 unibody macbook is fair deal? The A1278

7. mizaco macrumors member

Smart move. I'm also doing the same thing and will end up getting the new thunderbolt display to attach to my Air to do work. Everything seems to work out just right.